Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick wall- George Taylor

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick wall- George Taylor

Postby zjabri » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Hoping someone has info on my great grandfather- George Taylor. He was born in Islington, London around 1853. In 1892 he had a daughter, Georgeina Ethel Taylor. The mother was Sarah Duncan ( I am not sure they ever actually got married). His occupation is listed as different things- A traveler, a wine traveler, and a builders foreman. I can’t find anything about him after 1901, or who his parents were. Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated!
zjabri

Re: Brick wall- George Taylor

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:17 pm

It would be helpful if you gave a little more detail.
e.g.
What censuses have you found for him so far, and where was he living?
Are there any other children shown?

If he is your GGFather, which of his children are you descended from? i.e who are your Grandparent?
What made you decide George is your GGfather?

The reason I ask, is that I can see a Georgina Ethel Taylor (Age 8) living in Islington in 1901 census, but she is with parents Henry Taylor and Annie Taylor (Nee Moore)!
Mick Loney

Postby zjabri » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks Mick. I am descended from their child Georgeina ethel Taylor, who is my grandmother. I have my grandmother’s birth and marriage certificates which both list George Taylor being her father. I also have the 1901 census showing the 3 of them living together in London. I know Sarah died in Islington in 1904, and that my grandmother came to America and settled in Vermont. I just haven’t been able to find any information about George Taylor or his family
zjabri

Postby sdup26 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:24 pm

In 1901, the only George Taylor b1853 !slington I can see is living with Hamalaya Taylor b1865, and Ethel Taylor b1893. Is this your Georgina Ethel? And is she the 18 year-old parlourmaid in the household of Charles Clay in London, 1911?
sdup26

Postby zjabri » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi sdup- yes that is the one. Sarah Duncan’s middle name was Himalaya... her and George Taylor had their daughter Georgeina Ethel Taylor in 1892- their only child. I have not been able to locate anything about George Taylor’s death, his marriage to Sarah Duncan, or anything definitive about who his parents were...
zjabri

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:15 am

zjabri,
With a name like Himalaya, and born at Sea, were her parents in the Military, going/coming from India?
Her death was registered in 1904 Q2 Ref Islington 1b 102, have you got this certificate, as it may provide further clues to George?

Have you also considered they might have married abroad, possibly India?
If George was in the military in India, this could explain why you haven't found a marriage for them If you find this, it may give clues on their parentage.

However, I did found a Susan Duncan, (born 1863 Canada) in Williams Terrace, Kensington in 1871, with mother Elizabeth - Widow (born 1831 Devon) and six siblings.
Elizabeth 1856, Middlesex
Clara 1859 Middlesex
Alice 1860 Middlesex
Sarah 1863 Canada
From the youngest siblings birth registrations:
Louisa Mary 1864 Q4 St Lukes 1a 186 (Mothers maiden name Hooper)
Minnie Sophia 1867Q2 Whitechapel 1c 412 Mothers maiden name Hooper)
George William Henry 1869 Q3 Bethnal Green 1c 208 Mothers maiden name Hooper)

I have deduced her Parents were George Duncan and Elizabeth Hooper, who married in 1854 in Marylebone (1854 Q1 Marylebone 1a 616)

Any of these name ring a bell?
Mick Loney

Postby ianbee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:19 am

Mick Loney wrote:Any of these name ring a bell?

Looking for Sarah Himalaya Duncan
post55126.html#p55126
ianbee

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:22 am

Nothing I like more than duplicating work. Good job you've got a good memory.

I wonder if zjabri has seen this, and if they're holding anything else back :roll:
Mick Loney

Postby ksouthall » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Mick Loney wrote:I wonder if zjabri has seen this.

I knew the names sounded familiar. I think zjabri is more interested in tracing George Taylor and his family. If we can find a marriage record for George and Sarah that might help him trace George further back.
ksouthall

Postby Sucher » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:47 pm

Mick Loney wrote:Nothing I like more than duplicating work. Good job you've got a good memory.

I wonder if zjabri has seen this, and if they're holding anything else back :roll:

Hi Mick

Your research is correct. Sarah Himalaya Duncan was indeed the daughter of George Duncan and Elizabeth Hooper and the 1881 census address in West London is the family after George’s death at Columbia Buildings in Bethnal Green. He served for 21 years in the Grenadier Guards and went to work for Baroness Angela Coutts, (richest woman in England) not long after he died of pneumonia just before Christmas 1870. As a result of something called ‘The Trent Affair’, Britain and the US nearly went to war and there was a fear that the Yankees would annex Canada after the Civil War and Britain mobilised 10,000 troops. When the threat of war subsided, the families joined the troops, Sarah was born on HMS Himalaya just before it reached Canada where she was baptised.

zjabri is my third cousin and is aware of the above but search as we might, neither of us can establish a marriage between Sarah and George. Perhaps they never did marry and that Georgina’s real father was someone else and George’s surname was taken when the couple got together. Of course, George may be the father and the couple just didn’t get around to formally tying the knot.

Greetings zjabri!

Sucher
Last edited by Sucher on Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sucher

Next

Return to General research queries