Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick wall- George Taylor

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Brick wall- George Taylor

Postby Sucher » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Postscript

Sarah Himalaya Duncan was working as a domestic servant in Clapham on the 1891 census - taken 5 April. Georgina was born 29 July 1892, so only a 15 month window for her possible marriage to George before the baby was born. I cannot see any marriage during this period which tends to reinforce the possibility that there was no marriage.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby zjabri » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Sucher- thank you as always! Mickey looney- not sure why you think I was “withholding” anything. My previous post about SHD got a great response, and thanks to Sucher got me a wealth of information. From this post, I was simply attempting to get more info About George Taylor and his lineage, as I stated in the title of my post. Apologies if that wasn’t made clear enough...

Sucher- I think you are right, and I will just have to accept that they never got married- which is bizarre because on her death certificate it listed her last name as Taylor, not Duncan... and in the 1901 census it also lists her name as Taylor not Duncan and lists them as husband and wife on the census... hence my brick wall on this...

Appreciate everyone’s help in this and will keep searching...
zjabri

Postby MoVidger » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Zjabri and Sucher - do either of you have a copy of Georgina Ethel's 1892 birth certificate? If so, what is the address listed? Are her parents living at Tiber Street (as in the 1901 census)?

Also, you say George Taylor's occupation has been described as a "wine traveler", "traveler" and "builders foreman" (1901 census). Has anyone noticed that Edward Alexander Hammond (1857-1924), Sarah Duncan's employer in 1891, was also a Wine Merchant?

All things considered, could George Taylor have been in the employ of Edward, circa 1891, as well?
MoVidger

Postby elsabels » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:20 pm

Have you seen this?
London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1698-1930
Name: George Taylor
Residence Age: 14
Birth Date: abt 1853
Event Type: Examinations
Residence Date: 1867
Residence Poor Law Union: Bethnal Green
Residence: London, England
Reference Number: BEBG/267/025

The family maybe at 7 Pleasnt Way Islington
1871 RG09 144 27 57
Elizabeth A Taylor widow 1817 Chelmsford
elsabels

Postby Sucher » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:25 pm

MoVidger wrote:Zjabri and Sucher - do either of you have a copy of Georgina Ethel's 1892 birth certificate? If so, what is the address listed? Are her parents living at Tiber Street (as in the 1901 census)?

Also, you say George Taylor's occupation has been described as a "wine traveler", "traveler" and "builders foreman" (1901 census). Has anyone noticed that Edward Alexander Hammond (1857-1924), Sarah Duncan's employer in 1891, was also a Wine Merchant?

All things considered, could George Taylor have been in the employ of Edward, circa 1891, as well?

Thanks for your thoughts Mo. I don't have a copy of that birth certificate but I'm sure jzabri has one so hopefully will revisit this thread. Hadn't noticed the potential Wine Merchant link so well spotted. Georgina describes her father as a Traveller on her marriage certificate but where to go with that knowledge? Georgina seems to have secured a 'plum' job as a domestic with Charles Travis Clay in 1911, He describes himself as Private Secretary to the Leader of the House of Lords.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby MoVidger » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Sucher - our ancestors appeared to have traveled in the same circles circa 1911. My granny's cousin was in service to George Irby, 6th Baron Boston (according to the 1911 census). Years earlier, he had served as a government whip in the House of Lords. :o
MoVidger

Postby Sucher » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:52 am

Mo, at home here, we have a corkscrew and a plate from the royal yacht. According to my mother they were smuggled out of Buckingham Palace by her grandmother (Sarah Himalaya Duncan’s sister) under her bustle. The chef in the kitchen was a Frenchman M. Rouget who turned a blind eye to these ‘borrowings’ but was rather fond of pinching bottoms. Nothing grand or aristocratic but all part of our knowledge of our ancestors lives and lovely to have.

Sarah Duncan’s father worked for Baroness Angela Coutts who was the richest woman in the country and a close friend of royalty. She supported the family after George Duncan’s early death and there seems to have been high level placements of his daughters. Oh for a time machine!

Sucher
Sucher

Previous

Return to General research queries