Moderator Control Panel ]

finding a Jones from Wales

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: finding a Jones from Wales

Postby elsabels » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:49 pm

What makes you think that your ancestor was born in Wales?

Who are the witnesses on WHJ's marriage certificate?

There is a Jack Jones b 3 Nov 1888 married Head Barman at The Crown Inn London Road Merton & Morden??
elsabels

Postby Rogue Male » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 am

There's a Jack G Jones aged 79 who died in Croydon Mar quarter 1969 on FreeBMD This appears to be the only Jack G Jones of an appropriate age dying between 1911 & 1992. Probate search confirms as a Jack Griffith Jones and gives full name as Walter Alfred Jack Griffith Jones. This appears to be the WAJG Jones born and baptised in 1887, making him about 25 in 1912.

Sent from my HTC One max using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Rogue Male

Postby richardrcj1981 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:58 pm

My grandmother told my dad that is father was from Wales and it is in her diaries. I have had my DNA test done and there is a lot from Wales but I've researched the other 3/4 of my tree and no one is from Wales

Rogue I did look at that Jack's line and a few years ago I spoke to a relative of his one, but it is not the same man

Jack was another name for John, and that could explain William's middle name.

I might have to wait till the 1921 census comes out
richardrcj1981

Postby elsabels » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:47 pm

You know in 1934 that William marries Bessie Daniels in Brentford, have you looked on the voters list to see if you can find if WJJ was registered in the area, or in deed Bessie

You have the potential addresses on the marriage certificate, the following link will enable you to find The Feathers in the voters list. Who were the witnesses and was the marriage under Banns or Licence?

https://pubshistory.com/Middlesex/Ealin ... otel.shtml
Last edited by elsabels on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsabels

Postby jtp essex » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:43 am

Richard - using marriage of his father & mother can you find mother's maiden name? Then one of the 15 births registered may have her maiden name. Check GRO or FMP (free in the library) for mothers name on birth.
jtp essex

Postby richardrcj1981 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 am

thanks for your reply elsabels. The witnesses were not family, but I have looked at the electoral registers before and they only show the name and address of the people so I'm not sure that that will be any more help.

The GRO/FMP does show maiden names but I don't know anything about his mother either so I at this stage it wouldn't help me more jtp

If he had a rare surname it would be a lot easier but being Jones it is like tracing a needle in a haystack
richardrcj1981

Previous

Return to General research queries