Moderator Control Panel ]

Occupation?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Occupation?

Postby LintottM » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi

Can anyone decipher the occupation of father in entry 312 please? Also birthplace?

This could be my great great great grandfather if I am on the right track!

Thanks

Mary

Screenshot_2019-02-17-20-07-37.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-02-17-20-07-37.jpeg (105.8 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
LintottM

Re: Occupation?

Postby avaline » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:42 pm

It may have been easier if you'd just snipped the entry you were interested in as its quite hard to zoom. From what I can make out (if I have the right column!) it's John Johnston, Wool Sorter, but I cant decipher his age or whatever is written after that.
avaline

Postby LintottM » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Thank you! I tried to attach the file first but it wasn't compatible. Just tried cropping but it hasn't made it easier unfortunately. He is aged 60. His birthplace is tricky to read.

LintottM

Postby LintottM » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Have attached a clearer image now. The middle entry. Its a Scotland register so presume the birth place is somewhere in Scotland.
Screenshot_2019-02-17-22-14-12.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-02-17-22-14-12.jpeg (117.83 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

LintottM

Postby avaline » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:54 pm

Yes, thats clearer. Place of birth looks like Tillicoultry,
avaline

Postby brunes08 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 am

I agree. It looks very like Tillicoultry which is just a few miles east of Stirling. My sister lived there for some years - a very nice place to be ! The writing on the register confuses it a little because the ‘g’ in ‘age’ on the line above has a very long tail.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby LintottM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:22 pm

Thank you for your help! Not sure how to prove this is definitely my ancestor but it could be very likely. His wife was 38 so a bit younger!

LintottM

Postby Amazinggrace » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:49 pm

I,agree definately Tillicoultry.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby brunes08 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:10 pm

I spoke to my sister and her husband earlier today. He was born and brought up close to Tillicoultry. Johnstone is a common name in the area. The Johnstone family, who lived in Alva (the next village to Tillicoultry) were the main owners of the many woollen mills in the region and also benefactors to the community. You may find of interest, if you do not already have it, the Clackmannanshire Council website where you can find details of cemetery and burial records for Tillicoultry and the other nearby villages. It is www.clacks.gov.uk. Click on Communities and then you will see the cemeteries section. Hope that is helpful.

brunes08

Postby LintottM » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:25 am

brunes08 wrote:I spoke to my sister and her husband earlier today. He was born and brought up close to Tillicoultry. Johnstone is a common name in the area. The Johnstone family, who lived in Alva (the next village to Tillicoultry) were the main owners of the many woollen mills in the region and also benefactors to the community. You may find of interest, if you do not already have it, the Clackmannanshire Council website where you can find details of cemetery and burial records for Tillicoultry and the other nearby villages. It is http://www.clacks.gov.uk. Click on Communities and then you will see the cemeteries section. Hope that is helpful.

Hi, thank you very much for this information. I will definitely have a look at this.
It seems my ancestors surname was Johnston but do you think it could have been Johnstone and the 'e' being dropped over time?
My grandmother was Johnston and it was through finding her south african history that I was able to look more closely at the scottish connection. Duncan Johnston the baby registered in this record was her grandfather. (Probable but not proven!)
I wonder why the move was made to South Africa?
Duncan married in south africa in 1882 I think, and then they had their son Malcolm in 1889 in scotland. By the time my grandmother was born in 1917 they were in south africa again!
Would love to be able to follow the timeline in depth one day!

LintottM

Return to General research queries