Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick Wall

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick Wall

Postby steptacular » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can share any light or how I may proceed with my Brick Wall concerning my Great Grandfather.

He was about 20 years older than his supposed wife. She had also had a first child out of wedlock. According to the Census, they were married, but I have never found a marriage. It would have been around 1863. I've been to the local archives where they were living, looked through all the ledgers and also parish records and combinations of their names and nothing. As there is no marriage certificate, I have no idea of his family and parents etc. All the census says he was born in London, Middlesex a big area. I have his death and he died in a workhouse. Unfortunately, the workhouse records are no longer.I've ordered all of his children's marriage certificates to look at witnesses and nothing, just in case, there was a brother or sister of my great Grandfather. I've looked in baptisms, parish records and then tried to link them on the census and no matches. I've also looked under his name and matching his occupation and nothing. Of course, I have no idea how my G Grandfather and G Grandmother met. I can't find him on the census until 1871 when he was living with his supposed wife. I've looked at military records and now looking at criminal records. On the census, he is just down as George Field but on all the certificates I have, he is George Thomas Field. I wondered if he was either born Thomas or his father was Thomas Field. I ordered the death of a Thomas Field but the informant was the coroner. I also took an Ancestry DNA test in the hope of breaking this brick wall down. I've also searched in newspapers etc.

Is there any avenues I have missed? I really don't know how to break this brick wall. Your suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks,m Rob
steptacular

Re: Brick Wall

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:49 pm

To save going over old ground, it would be helpful if you gave a little more detail of what you have found so far such as when you think he was born, where he lived in the censuses, his wife’s name and names and birthdates of any children you know of. :D
Mick Loney

Postby steptacular » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:53 am

His wife's name was Rosina Hankin born in Enfield in 1834. He died in 1893 in Barnet Union workhouse so he would have been born around 1814. Their first child was Charles William. Field born in 1863 in Walthamstow. All it says on the census in 1871 was born in.London Middlesex..I'm wondering why there was such a gap in their ages.
steptacular

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 am

In 1871 the couple are shown living in Barnet, with children Alice, Charles, Thomas, Fred & Ann! (you didn't mention these children!). George was born around 1831, and Rosina 1834
(Where did you get birth date of 1814 for George?)

Alice Ann was registered in West Ham RD in 1856 as Hankin, and GRO does not give mothers maiden name, so I assume she was illegitimate,likewise with Charles Daniel (Not Charles William!), who was registered in Ware RD in 1863 with surname Hankin.

Thomas however was registered as Field in Barnet in 1869 , mothers maiden name Hankin, so unless parents are telling porkies, they married between births of Charles and Thomas (but See Fred below)

Children born with surname Field, mothers name Hankin include:
James (1871) Barnet
George (1873) Barnet
David Francis (1874) Barnet
Rosina (1877) Barnet

A Fred Field is registered in Hitchin in 1870, but no maiden name shown for mother

George's death is registered in 1892 in Barnet, aged 59, so unlikely to be the George who died in the workhouse in 1893! (Also no death registered on GRO in 1893)

Rosina's death Registered in 1893 in Barnet, aged 59
Mick Loney

Postby steptacular » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 am

I have George Thomas Field death and his age at death works out he was born in 1814. Their first cHild together was CHarles William Field .this is my direct male line and was my father's grandfather. I have his birth certificate by. 1863 in Walthamstow and registered Father and Mother are Rosina Hankin and Grorge Thomas Field. Yes Rosina had a child out of wedlock. I knew about the other children but when I get home I will check this Fred Field. The family contimued to live on Barnet. I wonder why he was just George Field on census but George Thomas Field on certificates. I also can't find him on 1891 census as he's not living with his supposed wife but died in the Barnet Union workhouse. So perhaps he was already living in the workhouse. Also trying to work ut how George and Rosina came to meet.Maybe I need to research her brothers and sisters as there could be a possibly they also married a Field? Thanks gor your help so far it is much appreciated. I even went to the cemetery where they were cremated but they only had paupers Graves. There must be a clue somewhere but it is a case of finding it.
steptacular

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:52 pm

I am curious about Charles William's birth certificate (or did you mean his christening entry), as there are no such births registered in 1863 under surname Field (GRO or Freebmd), so how did you obtain his certificate?
What was his date of Birth and what Registration District does it show?

As for not showing George Thomas on census, this is quite normal. Enumerators often didn't bother with second forenames, so I wouldn't be concerned. To be honest, I'm always surprised when they do show second names :D
Mick Loney

Postby AntonyM » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Mick Loney wrote:I am curious about Charles William's birth certificate (or did you mean his christening entry), as there are no such births registered in 1863 under surname Field (GRO or Freebmd), so how did you obtain his certificate?

GRO and FreeBMD both have it indexed as Charles William FEEL (mmn HANKIN) Q1 1863 West Ham
AntonyM

Postby avaline » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:56 pm

AntonyM wrote:
Mick Loney wrote:I am curious about Charles William's birth certificate (or did you mean his christening entry), as there are no such births registered in 1863 under surname Field (GRO or Freebmd), so how did you obtain his certificate?

GRO and FreeBMD both have it indexed as Charles William FEEL (mmn HANKIN) Q1 1863 West Ham

There is a 3-year-old named Frederick with them in 1871, also registered as FEEL:
FEEL, FREDERICK mmn HANKIN
GRO Reference: 1867 J Quarter in WEST HAM UNION Volume 04A Page 69

Also with them is 3-week old Ann, although I can't readily find her birth registration
avaline

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:01 pm

So much for using ‘Sounds Like’! Shoud have realised it was something simple :D
Mick Loney

Postby avaline » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:13 pm

I think 3-week old Ann is actually James.... :roll:

I also think Ive found George Thomas in 1891 at Chelsham, Godstone, Surrey
George Thomas Feild 75 Married Ag Lab born Middlesex, possibly Ealing

RG12, Piece 582, Folio 128, Page 6
avaline