Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here
Post a reply

Family Tree Maker tech help

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:50 pm

I've got great grandparents who are first cousins (mothers are sisters) so they share common grandparents, great grandparents etc. This means that my FTM data is duplicated - I've looked for ways of combining the parents but nothing works - any ideas or experience please?

Re: Family Tree Maker tech help

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 pm

It would seem you have given new parents to one of the sisters, rather than using the existing parents, ending up with two fathers and two mothers.

What you need to do is detach one of the sistes from her parents (couple A) then attach her to her correct parents (Couple B). You will then need to delete Couple A and possibly their ancestors too, depending on how much duplicated data you have entered.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:26 am

The other option is that you can merge duplicated individuals. So if you’ve added two people both called Joe Bloggs from different avenues of research, but who you now realise are one and the same person, you can merge them. It’s always good to do a back-up before such operations. If you’ve got different records attached to each then they all merge too.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks, both.

I've only just realised this oversight even though I've had the tree active for a number of years - I'm currently working along the generations and that way it becomes glaringly obvious. I'm also wary of hitting a button that sees lots of hard work disappear so excuse my caution over what ought to be a straightforward solution.

Somehow I've also doubled up on a lot of people thanks to linking with Ancestry - I think I'm trying to make life a bit more difficult than it needs to be! :lol:

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:10 pm

I know what you mean! Me and Ancestry never got on well with their FTM synchronisation, in the end I stopped using it because of the duplications and other issues. When ancestry gave up FTM, to a third party, that was when I called it a day, and moved to Family Historian, and have never looked back. It does much the same thing as FTM, but all the underlying data is not hidden in some bespoke database (they actually use a GEDCOM file), so is fully accessable to the users. What is more, they also provide hints, but to Findmypast and MyHeritage, rather than Ancestry.
When you’re ready to change, give FH a try.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:23 am

hi Mick, that's really interesting. I know nothing about Family Historian - could I import my FTM data without hassle? I'm a dinosaur about techie stuff but my OH (an IT chap) is interested on accessing the data to make it easier to interrogate for my social history mind, and said FTM looked very unfriendly. Thanks for the suggestion...

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 am

I suppose I ought to explain the comment about social history mind --- I've got a huge tree incorporating both husband and my ancestors (about 1600 people) and they are spread across the country. I'd like to pull up details of all those with connections to a particular area, for example, or all my grandmothers, or all events that happened on a particular date or all chair leg turners. FTM doesn't seem very friendly for these sorts of data.

I'm hoping someone will say 'that's soooooo easy!' even if I end up looking a twit!! :lol:

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:07 pm

Norfolk Nan,
Sadly I’m one of those techie guys, and although one can use a gedcom file to transfer data into FH, FTM’s verion of gedcom has a few idiosyncracies that FH may stumble over, nothing too serious though, but may require a little extra work to tidy up. Try downloading the trial version of FH and see how you get on.
See https://www.family-historian.co.uk/

There is also a free user guide you can download, and although based on Version 5, little has changed, and most of the information is still relevant to current Version (v6).

You’ll be pleased to know there is also a very good user group, (fhug.org.uk ) whose members are always happy to help should you get stuck.

PS FH has a good query system which would make your social history a bit easier. e.g. you can get it to list all people who were born in a particular town, or people who had a particular occupation etc etc.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:21 am

Thanks, Mick. Nothing sad about techie people - they make the world sort itself out at a click of a button! :lol:

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi NaN,

There’s also a very helpful guide on importing from FTM which I used when I changed to Family Historian a while ago (when ancestry stopped supporting it)

Paul
Post a reply