Moderator Control Panel ]

August issue (and September onsale)

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

August issue (and September onsale)

Postby Editor » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:26 pm

I hope you are enjoying the August issue and looking forward to the new series starting in August. I'm just posting a couple of apologies: first of all, in our TV pages it says that the new series starts in July (that was left over from when we thought the series was going to be in July). It will in fact start on 13 August as it says in our series preview.

Secondly, on our 'next month' page I said that the September issue will be out on 30 August when in fact it will be out on 28 August - the day after the Jerry Springer episode is on TV. Even subscribers won't get it before the 28th because we didn't want to spoil the Jerry Springer episode for anyone. It is a truly moving episode and shouldn't be missed.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

RE: August issue (and September onsale)

Postby Enfield67 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:13 am

Am I the only one to be a little disappointed at how much information about the new series has been given away in this issue. I have tried to avoid reading all the pages about Patsy Kensit until after the programme but its quite obvious she has connections with the Krays and Clergy! She's even in the middle of my Radio Times in a big pull out section.
Maybe you have realised this as you are talking about those of us receiving the magazine by subscription getting it a little later after the jerry Springer episode.
I'd be interested in other people's thoughts.
Paul
Enfield67

Postby margaretabram » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 pm

I've simply turned over the page and will read the article later, but I am annoyed at the amount of press coverage (e.g. nation newspapers) that is giving away the programmes' contents. Again, as soon as I realise that the article is spilling the beans on any episode, I turn over, but this should not be necessary. The fault must lie with the programme's press people who are going much too far in trying to get column inches to promote the programme. Please note: giving away too much information will not attract any more people to tune in, just a little snippet will.
Mags
margaretabram

Postby pentre » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:30 am

I agree totally. I've already read far more about the new series than I wanted to. I had managed to miss the bit about Patsy Kensit and the Krays - but now I know that too!

It ruins what is after all a 'detective story' if you're told the ending before it starts. There are plenty of ways you can flag a new programme, and awaken interest in it without telling the entire plot.

Please do something to stop this trend before it ruins the whole series.
pentre
pentre

Postby ewanarm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:06 pm

Just like to say that I am a subscriber to the magazine and I got my copy of the September issue on Tuesday (26th) which was the day before the Jerry Springer programme was aired! Although I was tempted, I only opened it this morning so not to spoil my enjoyment of the programme. I dont't really mind that details of the programme are released beforehand because it is only when you watch the episode that you can really piece together.

All I have to say is keep up the good work! A great magazine and a fantastic series so far![:D]
ewanarm

Postby Editor » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Sorry about that. Subscribers weren't supposed to get their copy of Jerry Springer until today. We are looking into why this happened. Can you tell me what part of the country you live in? So far it looks as if the problem was just in Nottinghamshire but I don't want to spoil things for you with our next issue on Jodie Kidd!

Thanks,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Lou79 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:00 pm

I got my copy on Tuesday and im in Kent - which surprised me as I wasnt expecting it. Was very tempted to open and read but I managed to wait!
Lou79

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm not a subscriber but have had my Jerry Springer copy since last Saturday. Perhaps it was put out in the shops too early? It was the only copy there and I snapped it up! [:D]

I bought it at King's Lynn, Norfolk (W.H. Smith).
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby margaretabram » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm in Kent too. I got my copy on Tuesday, but made sure I didn't look at the Jerry Springer pages - I read the rest though and then went to bed last night and read the bits I'd skipped, having seen the programme. I don't mind getting my magazine early!
Mags
margaretabram

Postby Editor » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:16 pm

Well, we tried to embargo it until today! Some things just never seem to go to plan...

I'll do some chasing and see if I can sort it out for the next issue!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Magazine chat