Moderator Control Panel ]

WW11 record

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW11 record

Postby Judithw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:17 pm

I am trying to research my Dad's WW11 record but I don't have information to build on such as service no/regiment/dates etc. He was born in 1919 so would have been 20 years old when war was declared. He was in Burma during the war the only thing he even mentioned was that he was high up in the mountains? It was mentioned by my family years ago just after Dad died in 1978 that he was a POW but I can't confirm that as he didn't talk about it.
38.jpg
regiment 2nd from the right top line
38.jpg (257.9 KiB) Viewed 569 times

I have attached some photographs to this post. Apologies if I have not done this correctly. Any info on uniform/badges etc would be gratefully received. I believe the RA on the epelletes stands for Royal Artillery and his hat is a digger or slouch hat. I have tried Forces War Records and Ancestry and found no information. Fingers crossed.
37.jpg
regiment 3rd from the right top line
37.jpg (207.02 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Dad army2.jpg
Dad in his slouch hat
Dad army2.jpg (167.26 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Judith
Judithw

Re: WW11 record

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:25 pm

His records will still be held by the Ministry of Defence - no-one else has any details.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ce-records is the link that will take you to the how to do it instructions. Note that you don't need his number - his name and date of birth should suffice, along with a death certificate.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: WW11 record

Postby Judithw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:56 pm

Brilliant will look into that thank you

Sent from my SM-A520F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Judithw

Return to Military help