Moderator Control Panel ]

Good Evening help with family line check please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Good Evening help with family line check please

Postby TheViking » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:10 pm

As the title says really I have been researching my line from my great grandfather George Patrick Conway to my great great grandfather John Conway, I believe now I may have found my great great great grand farther micheal Conway but I am not sure and cant help but think I am going off the course I may need a fresh pair of eyes or two.
george conway birth.PNG
George birth certificate
george conway birth.PNG (40.57 KiB) Viewed 829 times

I know my great grand father was George Patrick Conway born in 1882 in Tullamore workhouse to his father john Conway and his mother Bridget Maguire.

john Conway died in 1892 in Tullamore work house I can find nothing on Bridget's death. I did however find a marriage certificate for john and Bridget from 1868 and he was age 27 with his farther as Michael Conway his age would put his birth date as 1840 if I am correct ?
johns marrige certificate.PNG
johns marrge certificate
johns marrige certificate.PNG (300.67 KiB) Viewed 829 times

I can not for the life of me find a birth record for him on the Irish genealogy site the only one with Michael Conway as farther is 1868 which would mean john also had a twin I am not convinced that his my john. am I following the right lines ? maybe john wasn't born in Tullamore is a great possibility
TheViking

Re: Good Evening help with family line check please

Postby ciderdrinker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 am

Hi
I can't see his baptism either but I did find a Michael Conway in Tullamore who may be his father.
Michael is in prison for being drunk in 1866 .
He is age 68 5ft 5 1/4 grey eyes and hair committed 30 Oct 1866.He was tried on the 19th Sep 1866 and got 48 hours in jail
There is a daughter Elizabeth bapt 6 Dec 1832 parents Michael and Margaret Crauley.
Godparents John Conway and Elizabeth Crauley.

On the 1901 census Bridget Conway widow age 51 is a servant At Charles st Tullamore .She works for Michael Gorry age 30 Bill poster.
I can't see her on the 1911.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby avaline » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:23 pm

The Catholic registers for Tullamore are online at https://registers.nli.ie/ but many of the entries are very faded
avaline

Postby TheViking » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:47 pm

hi and thanks for the reply I believe I did come across the prison record before but as I am an armature at this I don't really know how ti verify this is my Michael there is no address or family members mentioned to put this to bed.
TheViking

Return to General research queries