Moderator Control Panel ]

Croix de Guerre

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Croix de Guerre

Postby Laneside » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:42 pm

A descendant of mine Charles Hardwicke was a surgeon with the French Red Cross between 1915 and 1918. He served in France and then Macedonia with French Colonial troops. In a newspaper article he says he was awarded the Croix de Guerre for personally supervising the evacuation of over 150 badly injured men under heavy shell and machine gun fire. I can't find any reference in the London Gazette or elsewhere on line. Can anyone point me in the right direction please, are there records available to search in France
Laneside

Re: Croix de Guerre

Postby sdup26 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:03 pm

There's a list of recipients of the Croix de Guerre (WW1) on Wikipedia, although I can't see a Charles Hardwicke. Is it possible he told the newspaper about it in good faith because he'd been recommended for it, but didn't actually receive it?
sdup26

Postby Laneside » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:25 am

Hi thanks for your response, I did check the names on Wikipedia as part of my initial research. Regarding the newspaper article it was published in 1920 and the medal was also mentioned in his obituary in 1944
Laneside

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:25 am

Very quick reply - an old thread on Genes Reunited suggests that WO 388 at Kew is what you need.

It also says that by no means all of the Croix de Guerre awards were in the London Gazette. I have no idea whether WO 388 is online anywhere. Also, note that there is a Belgian Croix de Guerre as well.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/ ... ead/994108

Sent from my MotoG3 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:54 am

Also - I found this about the French CdeG:

"On 1 March 1920 the Ministry of War listed 2,055,000 individual citations, but that figure is much lower than the actual one because it does not include posthumous citations and Croix de Guerre accompanied by the Légion d'Honneur and the Médaille Militaire"

http://www.cheminsdememoire.gouv.fr/en/ ... -de-guerre

Even allowing for translation issues, that's a high total that clearly means that the Wikipedia articles aren't complete listings. Though that total is for all awards to everyone.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:44 pm

A member of the Great War Forum has a particular interest in foreign awards, and has developed a large database.

Perhaps you could enquire there.
https://www.greatwarforum.org

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby Chruistine Brennan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:19 pm

Have a look at the French Genealogy Blog. The author has covered loads of topics and may have posted something or be able to assist.
Chruistine Brennan

Postby tessacate » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:22 am

Hi there

Our family folklore was always that a great uncle was awarded the Croix de Guerre during World War 1. However when I researched it, he actually won the French Medallie d'Honneur.

The Medallie d'Honneur can be awarded to any military or civilian person who risks his or her life to come to the rescue of one or many persons in danger.

In October 1917, the French Medaille d’Honneur was re-instituted with crossed swords on two sprays of oak leaves (Medaille d'Honneur avec Glaives) in gold silver-gilt (Vermeil), silver (Argent) and bronze (Bronze).[1] The medal ranked after the Croix de Guerre and several were awarded to service members of Allied forces, including personnel from:

Great Britain
United States
Australia (7 Gold, 26 Silver, 16 Bronze)[2]
Canada
New Zealand (2 Gold, 4 Silver, 6 Bronze)[3]

So I think it's worth researching the other French awards as well as looking for the Croix de Guerre.

Good luck with your research.

Cheers
Tessacate
tessacate

Postby tessacate » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:36 am

PS : another National Archives Series appears to be WO 373 - War Office and Ministry of Defence: Military Secretary's Department: Recommendations for Honours and Awards for Gallant and Distinguished Service (Army).

This series is searchable on the National Archives website.

Cheers
Therese
tessacate

Postby tessacate » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:49 am

And finally, I found a medal card reference for Charles Hardwicke, Surgeon of the French Red Cross on the UK National Archives website. You can download the record for GBP 3.50. Hope this is the one for you.

Medal card of Hardwicke, Charles Corps: French Red Cross Rank: Surgeon

Reference: WO 372/9/13916
Description: Medal card of Hardwicke, Charles
Corps: French Red Cross
Regiment No: -
Date: 1914-1920
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

Ordering and viewing options
£3.50
Download size approximately 1.5 MB. Download format PDF

I don't know what it's like for British service's records, but in Australia service records include foreign awards as well as Australian and British.

Cheers

Tessacate
tessacate

Next

Return to Military help