Moderator Control Panel ]

Croix de Guerre

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Croix de Guerre

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:01 am

Except... I'm really sorry because I thought this was a very interesting learning point - but that Medal Index Card appears to be on Ancestry in the British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 and it's indexed there as just
Name: Chas Hardwicke
Regiment or Corps: French Rx

"Rx" is actually "R.X." on the original and stands for "Red Cross". This MIC is just for his British War Medal and Victory Medal - no mention, sadly, of his Croix de Guerre.

I know that my previous advice referred to WO 388, described in the TNA Catalogue as Registers of "Exchange of Army Decorations between Britain and the Allies". That's still my best bet but I wonder if his award will be in there - after all, Charles H was in a French unit, whereas WO 388 seems to be for French decorations awarded to people in UK units or UK decorations awarded to people in French (etc) units. Unfortunately, Charles H was a French decoration awarded to someone in a French unit. That would suggest pessimistically it won't be in WO 388 and that maybe the only answer lies in French sources...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to Military help