Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish help please - David Cronin

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Irish help please - David Cronin

Postby Beverley Stephens » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:19 am

The first record I have seen of my 2x great grandfather David Cronin is in a Baptism record (Irish, Catholic Parish Registers, 1655-1915) of his daughter Mary dated 17 May 1862. This was at Passage West, Cork, Ireland. His wife is noted as Ellen Clahane.

He then has a further three children born and baptized in Jersey, Channel Islands: - David in 1863, Ellen in 1865 and Patrick in Apr 1867.

His next child, John, was born in Bristol, UK in Jan 1869, as was the remainder of his children. David stayed in Bristol for the rest of his life and died here in Jan 1905.

All census say he was born in Ireland but the 1901 one says Waterford, Ireland.

His death certificate in 1905 says he was 60, so born 1845. Census ages vary between a birth date of 1836 to 1845.

Ideally, I would like to trace a marriage or even better a baptism for him but I don’t know where to start looking.

Finding a marriage may prove particularly tricky as the mother of all his children is Ellen but on the birth certificates or baptism registers, she is noted with a surname of Clahane, Cain, Kane, Cane, Caghan, Keogh or Kaye!! Take your pick.

Any help will be gratefully received. Thanks.
Beverley Stephens

Re: Irish help please - David Cronin

Postby shanew147 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 am

Difficult combination of names - in Co. Cork there were quite a few Daniel Cronins with a wife named Ellen or similar, so could be difficult picking out the correct one... good news is that the Catholic records for Passage West parish go back to the late 1700s without any major gaps, so if your Daniel and Ellen were baptised and married in this parish there's a good chance they are in there somewhere.

I see the baptism of Mary, with mother's name as Clahane.. which sounds very familiar and it appears that I've viewed this record already, could I have looked into this family before somewhere ?
shanew147

Postby Beverley Stephens » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Thank you for replying.

You are correct, I posted a question last June regarding Mary Cronin’s baptism at Passage West and asked if there was a GRO equivalent in Ireland and you kindly told me that civil registration didn’t start there until 1864.

You pointed me to the Catholic Parish Registers at NLI, is this the site I should be looking at for my David and Ellen marriage? Thanks.
Beverley Stephens

Postby MayHam » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:41 pm

According to RootsIreland, there was a David Croneen and Ellen Kiely married 17 Feb 1861 in Cappoquin, Co. Waterford. Witnessed by Patrick Kiely and Margaret Croneen (possibly their parents?)

A David Cronin was baptised in 1834 in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford to John & Margaret (Burke) Cronin.

A John Cronan of Tallow, Co. Waterford (boatman) died in 1867 age 47, Informant: M. Cronan.

According to FindMyPast...
A Joannis Cronin of Co. Waterford, son of Demetru & Cath (Morrissy) Cronin was baptised in 1815.
A John Croonan of Co. Waterford, son of John & Mary (Whelan) Croonan was baptised in 1817.
MayHam

Postby Beverley Stephens » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:31 am

Thank you MayHam. That's very interesting because the name John Kiely appears as a Sponsor on Mary Cronin's baptism. I will follow up your suggested records.
Beverley Stephens

Return to General research queries