Moderator Control Panel ]

German Death certificate, can anyone translate please?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: German Death certificate, can anyone translate please?

Postby PaulH01 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:19 pm

Can't read all of it, but a few things:

The overprint at the top seems to have replaced a form from the local office with that from the General Hospital in Hamburg-Eppendorf (in the north of the city).

Florence Maud was born in Dover 2nd July 1909
parents Thomas and Emma (nee Watts) - GRO confirms this

(can't read the street name) EDIT: Falkenried 83 looks right!

date of death could be 19th Feb 1914, could also be 14th.
I think she died at a quarter to/past nine in the morning.

Googling 'Thomas Farquarson Hamburg' gives a surprising number of entries - someone of his name seems to be chairman of Angus Shipping, Dundee, for example, in 1908-9.
PaulH01

Postby JaneyH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 pm

My German is exceedingly rusty, but I agree with what others have posted so far.

I'm reasonably certain there is no cause of death shown, although I think Florence died at the hospital. ("in genannter Anstalt" translates as "In said institution").

I wonder - and this is a long shot - whether this might be some sort of provisional certificate. The first line of printed text, right at the top, that is struck through reads something like "before the under-signed Registrar, appeared today in person..." The replacement text "auf sschriftliche Unzeige..." translates as something like "on written notice / instruction". Not sure this helps, but there you go.

Adrian, I wonder if the icons in the directory are letter box numbers in an apartment block for the rectangle with a cross through it (representing the back of an envelope) and a telephone number for the 'horn' icon.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:50 pm

JaneyH wrote:..., I wonder if the icons in the directory are letter box numbers in an apartment block for the rectangle with a cross through it (representing the back of an envelope) and a telephone number for the 'horn' icon. ...

That would make a lot of sense - back of an envelope and the listening horn part of an old fashioned telephone. (I'm sure they weren't called icons back then but I failed to identify a better term! :) )

JaneyH wrote:... I wonder - and this is a long shot - whether this might be some sort of provisional certificate. The first line of printed text, right at the top, that is struck through reads something like "before the under-signed Registrar, appeared today in person..." The replacement text "auf sschriftliche Unzeige..." translates as something like "on written notice / instruction".

My thoughts on that, now I see your translation, are that it feels more like an alternative method of reporting the death. In England & Wales, there are strict rules about who can report a death, so one would imagine the Germans would have something similar. This suggests to me that a normal death would need to be reported by an appropriate "someone" in person, but in certain circumstances, an official from (in this case) the hospital was permitted to make a written report with no need for the hospital official to attend in person. As the books appear here to be bound, pre-printed blanks, the printed format is the standard "attend in person" while Hamburg had an over-stamp to turn it into a report by mail. (No idea how much the different German states differed in their practices)

Note both my comments here are best guesses.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby mbford222 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Hello everyone and thank you for your interesting replies. I was waiting to be notified of a reply, and finally decided to check, so sorry for the delay. I will spend some time looking at your replies in detail, but it is interesting that he shows up in the Directory.
Once again, thank you,
Margaret in Ottawa
mbford222

Previous

Return to General research queries