Moderator Control Panel ]

Jean Wilson Date of Birth and Parents

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Jean Wilson Date of Birth and Parents

Postby Lucretia66 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Can anyone please help me? I'm having a huge problem with my great-grandmother. She seems to have several different dates of birth which all check out, but she can only have one!
I'm hindered by the fact she had common names (Jean Wilson, sometimes known as Jeanie, sometimes incorrectly credited as Jane) and gave alternative birth years. I believe her mother may have been called Jane (but unsure) but I know that her father was called James. She was born in St. Andrews in Fife in Scotland.
She married one Arthur Henry Douglas Gregory in 1893 at South Shields. Her father is named as a witness. Her date of birth as 1874. She is also listed in 1901, along with the correct spouse and children, as having been born in 1865. She is also, however, list in 1911 as being 36 years old, which would mean that her date of birth was 1875. The general belief in our family is that her date of birth was 1874...but there seems no 1874 birth of a Jean Wilson in St. Andrews/Fife. There are a lot of Jean Wilson in the records. What should I do? I would really like to know her actual date of birth for sure and her parents dates of birth. It would be nice to know if her mother really was called Jane too, as there has always been a question mark by that.
Lucretia66

Re: Jean Wilson Date of Birth and Parents

Postby phsvm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:22 pm

Have you tried to find them on the 1939 register? That should give you a date of birth which may (or may not) agree with one of the dates you have already.
phsvm

Postby sdup26 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:34 pm

I don't know if this is your Jean Wilson, but it's the only one I can see born 1874 in Fife:
Jean Wilson, born 12/8/1874, St Andrews, Fife, father James, mother Mary Deans.

I think the 1939 Register, as available online, currently covers only England and Wales.
sdup26

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Thank you both so much. I have looked on various search sites before without finding the birth date and other details. Can you please let me know where you found this?
Lucretia66

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:18 pm

Please remember that in Scotland, Jean and Jane tend to be interchangeable. Indeed, occasionally interchangeable with Janet. See http://www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Jean.html
In Scotland Jean and Jane are fully interchangeable. Occasionally Jean &/or Jane have been used as a synonym for Janet, especially in early records, but this is by no means universally true [see notes for Jane] and is likely to be a localised family pet-name.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Good grief, I had no idea. Thank you very much. I'll make a note of this.
Lucretia66

Postby phsvm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

My suggestion for the 1939 register was that she may be in England having been married in South Shields. It appears she was in England in 1939.

The register has a Jane Gregory, dob 12 August 1874, married and Arthur H D Gregory, dob 25 March 1871, Coal Trimer Heavy Worker, married, living at 3 Richard Street, Blyth, Northumberland. There are no closed records or other people living at this address.

Having looked at the original register I think they may have been at number 2 and not number 3 as there is no number 2 listed but number 3 appears to be listed twice.
phsvm

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Thank you. I've not looked at 1939 as I didn't think it was important. So this is with the National Archives? Worth my having a look at.
I can confirm that she seems to have come to England to marry my English Great-grandfather. I have no idea how they met or why they settled where they did as he came from Plymouth.
Yes, that's them. She died in 1947 in Blyth and he lived until 1960.
Lucretia66

Postby phsvm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 pm

If you look at the 1891 census it wasn't just Arthur who was in the North East but his widowed father and sister as well. His sister Ada had been born in the north east about 12 years earlier so something had taken the whole family north from Devon, not just Arthur.

It would appear that some time between 1871 and 1879 the family moved en masses to the north east. You shouldn't be trying to work out why Arthur moved there but what motivated his parents William and Mary to move there. William isn't with the family on the 1871 census so had he already gone north in search of work?
phsvm

Postby Lucretia66 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Thank you very much for this.
Presently looking into it.
My main thoughts are that it may have been -
1/ to escape disease, or
2/ for religious reasons (they were devoutly and genuinely religious people - they even prayed daily if they could, so not just Sunday church goers)
3/ perhaps both 1 and 2
Of course, it could be something entirely different. If I find out, I'll update with another post.
Lucretia66

Return to General research queries