Moderator Control Panel ]

Born in India

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Born in India

Postby ValT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:21 am

Help, my Grandmother was born in India whilst her father was serving there in approx 1876-1878, the only details I have about him is his name and when she married he was deceased and was listed as a Sargeant Major in the army. I would like if possible a copy of her birth certificate. What site would be best for researching as there seems to be a few (all charging) and I am not sure where to go. Thanks
ValT

Re: Born in India

Postby MaureenE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:33 pm

You could check whether the baptism is mentioned in the Chaplains Returns, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Chaplains Returns
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Chaplains_Returns
and if so, request a certificate from the GRO (charge applies)

You could also look at the India Office baptisms on findmypast (pay website) which have images.
There are free transcribed index records from the same dataset on FamilySearch. FamilySearch also have free images of these records, but they need to be viewed in a FamilySearch Family History Centre, which may not be geographically convenient. Details in the FIBIS Fibiwiki page IGI.
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/IGI

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Re: Born in India

Postby peter kent » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Try Findmypast - your county library service may offer free access. Search under births and baptisms using the record set called "British Armed Forces and Overseas Births and Baptisms". These are the GRO indexes for these events.

If or when you find the right entry, note the reference details and apply to GRO for a copy of the birth certificate. When you apply, make sure you use the section headed "For overseas events which were registered with the British authorities"
peter kent

Return to Military help