Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Military Photo

Postby haverhillian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:36 am

This is a picture of a relative sent to me by an Aunt in Canada in 1988. Since then I have tried to establish which relative the photo refers to.
The vehicle I believe is a Crossley 4x2 and those were used by the Royal Tank Corp, but unfortunately there appears to be no markings to establish which Coy. The photo I'm sure is taken on the road to Razmak, India in the first half of the 1930's, as the rest of the photos refer to an earthquake, and one took place at Quatta in 1935, and another was taken in the Sgts mess 1933.
My main problem is to identify the Coy/Coys that were in the area during this period, so that if they still have records of service personnel I may be able to trace which relative it is.

[image]local://789/824B91CFE09842C8B9EBE81ABD7378D6.jpg[/image]
haverhillian

RE: Military Photo

Postby paulberyl » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:26 am

You have correctly identified the vehicle as a Vickers Crossley Indian Pattern Armoured Car, specifically manufactured for troops in India. (I think they may have actually been made in India).

In the 1930s the Royal Tank Corps (as they were then) had between 8 to 13 companies based in India.

The only positive suggestion I can make is that you contact the Royal Tank Museum at:

[color=#000000]RHQRTR
Stanley Barracks
Bovington
Dorset
BH20 6JA[/color]
[email=rhqrtr@btconnect.com][color=#000000]rhqrtr@btconnect.com[/color][/email]

with as much information as you have to see if they can help you.

Regards,

Paul

paulberyl

Return to Photo identification