Moderator Control Panel ]

Multiple registrations

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Multiple registrations

Postby Lunarlauncher » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum & have joined primarily to gain a better understanding of my birth certificate.

I have uncovered evidence that there are 4 separate registrations for myself over a five month period from the day I was born until the final registration.

Is there a particular reason why this would happen?
Lunarlauncher

Re: Multiple registrations

Postby AntonyM » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Four entries in the indexes doesn't mean four different registrations - you may find the same entry indexed more than once, but with the same reference, when the parents are not married for example.

Multiple actual registrations (i.e. they have different references) would usually indicate that the birth was re-registered. There are two main reasons for re-registration which could apply (possibly both) i.e. to add an (unmarried) father's details which weren't originally shown and then possibly again after the marriage of the parents.
AntonyM

Postby Lunarlauncher » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:32 pm

I think the last point would apply in this instance as the first registration was under one surname but with the same number(1266) as my current surname, the other two have separate numbers(J81 & 1402) with my current surname
Lunarlauncher

Postby DebbieBB » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi - I had an example of something similar in my family tree. One of my mum's cousins was born during WW2 - her dad was called up before her parents realised baby was on the way and they weren't married. She was incorrectly registered with her dad's surname in his absence, it should have been with her mum's maiden name to be correct at the time. Parents married when dad came back from service. This error only came to light when my cousin was getting married 20-odd years later and her birth was re-registered after all those years at the time of her marriage.
DebbieBB

Return to General research queries