Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA Android app

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

WDYTYA Android app

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 am

While the new Android app looks very nice and has several good features (such as it being easy for me to post this in the right place - I hope!) one bit infuriates me.

The unread posts option lists correctly when I enter the app. When I read one of those posts and come out of it, the unread posts list should update in response to that event and remove that now read post from the unread list. It doesn't.

This is particularly annoying when there are several unread posts and it becomes easy to lose track of where you are.

Isn't this unread post list supposed to update as posts are read?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: WDYTYA Android app

Postby JaneyH » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:13 am

I’m using the iOS version of the Forum app on my iPhone. Initially it showed 4 unread posts (including this one). When I clicked the back arrow to go back to the list it updated to three unread posts. Looks like the Android app is working differently.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks Janey - nice to know that it should work! I got the impression, rightly or wrongly, that the iOS version came out some time ago, so maybe it's had the bugs ironed out. (I'm on Android 6.0.1).

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Oh that's interesting - the count is now counting down for me. Then.... The previously read message remains in the list until I sort of drag the list up and down a bit at which point the timer wheel appears, and then the read message vanishes from the list of unread messages (posts actually).

So either someone's tweaked something on the server side, or I'd never found the secret combination of jiggling the list to refresh it!

Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Technical help