Moderator Control Panel ]

Half sister? Chromosomes help!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Half sister? Chromosomes help!

Postby Lunalie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:35 am

I need help. Well with chromosomes. Lol I can't read them. I'm trying to figure out if this is my dad's half sister.
If so then I finally have a lead (somewhat) on his father's side!
I can't find anyone who can read them and I'm on pins and needles.

Anyone in here know how to read chromosomes?
So I've been trying to search for my dad's father's side forever.
Story is his mother was raped and then he came along. NEVER knew his father. Always wanted to meet the family. I can't tell you how long I have been searching. My dad isn't well and I always thought I'd have answers before he passed, but I truly started to believe It wasn't going to happen.
I found a first cousin on 23andme. She was born in 1956 and my dad born in 1952. So that would make her more of an aunt!
Tried matching up our matches that are on 23andme with the same people in our AncestryDNA matches. Except see who DIDN'T match his half sister from his mother and step dad.
(Already talk to some in the past and never figured out how we were related) figuring out they only matched with my father and me. NOT my mother. NOT his sister from his mother.
This HAS to be his half sister from his father.
Her bio mom will not give a name for anything. She was adopted out at the age of 4. Before that she said she does believe he paid child support.
Well she uploaded her stuff on Gedmatch today and I already had my father's DNA on there.
It says hers is still uploading, but it let us do one on one still.
I CAN'T READ IT. I'm dying to know!!
I have a friend who is a genealogist, but doesn't read chromosomes and said it sounds like she is his half sister!
I would be incredibly grateful if anyone knew how and could tell me! Thank you for even reading all that!

So with him it says gen. 1.5 and with me 1.9 when matching with her.

I hope this is the right place to post this.

thank you all for reading!
Attachments
dadhalfsis.jpg
This is what all adds up when comparing theirs.
dadhalfsis.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
Lunalie

Re: Half sister? Chromosomes help!

Postby elsabels » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:02 pm

I cannot help you on your query but would add
I found a first cousin on 23andme. She was born in 1956 and my dad born in 1952. So that would make her more of an aunt!

My uncle was 8 years older than me, I was 18 when he ( his wife) had his first child my cousin!
elsabels

Postby JaneyH » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:55 pm

I’m fairly new to DNA research myself, and I’ve still got a lot to learn. One of the tools I’ve found very helpful is the website DNA painter. This includes the ‘shared cM tool’, which predicts your relationship to a match based on the amount of DNA you share. I plugged in your figure of 1758.4 and it showed the following possibilities.

As you’ll see, half sibling is a definite possibility. You may be able to rule out others such as grandparent, given your age and the age of the match.

In terms of getting more advice I recommend joining the Facebook group “DNA help for genealogy UK - GEDMatch, FTDNA etc”. There are some very knowledgeable people on there who will hopefully be able to help.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Lunalie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

I guess I should add I'm 31 years old. I was born in 87'

My dad's mom said she was raped at 16 (Nobody knew if it was the truth and my dad did say story changed sometimes..) she also got married before he was born in 52'. I always thought he looked like his step dad, but I did eventually figure out they weren't related.

My aunt (What I willl call her right now lol) her mom was 20 years old born in 56'.

I guess it's always possible for them to be aunt and uncle. I mean.. I have a nephew who is like 5 years younger than me. I just am not sure.

We know nothing of the bio dad though.

Here's the screen shot comparing my DNA with her.
Attachments
auntme.jpg
auntme.jpg (51.68 KiB) Viewed 986 times
Lunalie

Postby Lunalie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Thank you for the responses everyone :)
Lunalie

Postby Lunalie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm

compared my twin brother to her.
Attachments
thanielaunt.jpg
thanielaunt.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Lunalie

Postby JaneyH » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:38 pm

If I’ve followed your description correctly, is this the tree you’re suggesting?

If this is the case, then the amounts of shared DNA you mentioned all fit with the match being a half-sister to your Dad and a half-aunt to you and your brother. I fear that with an alleged rape being part of this story, and close family members still alive, this may be a tough nut to crack.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Lunalie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 pm

JaneyH wrote:
If this is the case, then the amounts of shared DNA you mentioned all fit with the match being a half-sister to your Dad and a half-aunt to you and your brother. I fear that with an alleged rape being part of this story, and close family members still alive, this may be a tough nut to crack.

Yeah. I do believe she is my father's half sister.
My dad and aunt (sister from his mom) Never knew if the story about rape was true.

The person who I believe is his half sister tells me her bio mother won't tell her who he is.
Lunalie

Return to General research queries