Moderator Control Panel ]

Catherine Sureties

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Catherine Sureties

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 am

She was born in 1675 in Sunderland, death date unknown, parentage unknown. I would like to know if she is related to the Surtees family. She was married to William Coulson, born 1680. They married in Durham, at St. Mary le Bow in 1701. Thanks
Lucretia66

Re: Catherine Sureties

Postby Lucretia66 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:51 pm

I don't have any more information to add about her, sadly.
I can say that her husband died in 1729 in Whitburn in Durham. His parents were Martin Coulson - 1646 to 1712 and Margaret Webster born 1649.
Her son Richard was born in 1708 in Sunderland and died in 1768.
Lucretia66

Postby sdup26 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:43 am

Sureties is listed as a variation with surnames such as Surtees, Surtes, and Surteys. Names were often written down, by clerks and others, as they sounded, which obviously depended on the person giving the information (mumbling, lost teeth, local accent and so on), so the name can come out 'wrong.' On one census involving my extended family, their surname has three different spellings. Which is a long-winded way of saying that Catherine may well be related to someone called Surtees, or Surteys....
Can I ask - you don't know Catherine's parentage, so how can you be sure she was born 1675, and in Sunderland?
sdup26

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Thank you, I had wondered about the spelling of her surname and have heard of the other variations.
I wasn't looking for Catherine originally. I was looking for my direct ancestor, William Coulson. I found him on Ancestry.com after some searching. I can't recall exactly what I found there now as I'm no longer a member and it was sometime last year or the year before, but I did find Catherine there too. I have some sparse details printed out. I think they were the ones who listed her date of birth and place of birth but not her parentage. I spent a lot of time searching through Durham Records to find his marriage to double check it and found it there eventually, with her as his bride. I've looked through a lot of other records but can't find any more about Catherine.
Lucretia66

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:10 pm

In addition, I did find this:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FlI ... 20&f=false

I never read it at the time but made sure I had the link to it.
Now I'm not sure what to make of it. At first glance I thought they were not related to me. It does, however, mention Sureties (and variations) and Coulson, although I can't see Catherine mentioned, unless I've missed it. Sunderland is not mentioned either but then it was classed as Durham and sometimes referred to as simply in Durham. Confusing.
Lucretia66

Postby sdup26 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:43 pm

The marriage record for William Coulson and Catherine Sureties in 1701 lists the groom's parish as 'WBN' - Whitburn? and the Bride's parish as 'RYT' - Ryton? I don't know if this helps with a more specific search for Catherine's baptism. For instance, a Catherine Surtees was baptised in Ebchester in 1680 (6 miles from Ryton) father John, mother Elizabeth.
sdup26

Postby Lucretia66 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:54 pm

Thank you very much.
I've not seen those abbreviations but I'm terrible with all of them really and would never have guessed.
It makes sense as I know he died in Whitburn.
Not sure about Catherine but I know there are one or two ancestors who lived in Ryton. Which ones I will have to find out by wading through a lot of printouts as I really can't recall who they are. Hopefully I'll find more later on to knit together the details. It's nice to have more to add.
Lucretia66

Postby meekhcs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:30 pm

This is from the website Durham records online www.durhamrecordsonline.com. Unfortunately it is not free but is an exceellent site

4 Dec 1701 William Coulson (gentleman, of Cleadon, Whitburn) obtained a licence to marry Catherine Sureties (of Ryton), directed to St.Mary-le-Bow, Durham City
Surety: Edward Surteys, gentleman, of Ryton
[Note: married 4 Dec at St.Mary-le-Bow.]
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Following on I found these baptisms on the same website.

Edward Surtiss bap 2 Nov 1663 in Ryton son of Robert Surtiss.

Catherine Suretus bap 10 April 1670 in Ryton, daughter of Robert Suretus.

This throws up another possible baptism for Catherine,Father Robert, with her brother Edward acting as surety
meekhcs

Postby Lucretia66 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Thank you very much. I injured my arm so I'm just trying to catch up with things now that it's better. I'll have to look into this further. Very intriguing.
Lucretia66

Return to General research queries