Moderator Control Panel ]

Susanna Moist

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Susanna Moist

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 am

This ancestor has an interesting and rare surname which seems to be attached to where she came from. She was born in 1815 in Plymouth. Despite this rarity I am not sure who her parents were, but it may be possible that her father was called William, born 1789, with a mother named Ann. Susanna married a Joseph Gregory, born 1814, who also came from Plymouth. Thanks
Lucretia66

Re: Susanna Moist

Postby trace » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Baptism Plymouth St Andrews transcription
Susanna bpt 16 Apr 1815
to Willm & Ann

Poss Marriage (St Maurice)
28 Feb 1808
William Moist to Ann Stanbury
William from parish of Sojourner(?)
trace

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:37 pm

‘Sojourner’ means a temporary resident. Presumably William is from another parish but living within the parish of St Maurice at the time of the marriage. This often happened because it saved the expense of having the Banns read in two separate parishes. I’ve seen it several times in my own family.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby Lucretia66 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Thank you very much. I was wondering about Ann Stanbury myself. Nice to have another opinion. I'll have to look into this further.
‘Sojourner’ means a temporary resident. Presumably William is from another parish but living within the parish of St Maurice at the time of the marriage. This often happened because it saved the expense of having the Banns read in two separate parishes. I’ve seen it several times in my own family.

Thank you very much. I have never heard of this before. Something else to look into.
Lucretia66

Postby Lucretia66 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:10 am

I've had a look on ancestry.com but Ann Stanbury has a DOB as 1810, so couldn't possibly have had Susanna aged only five. It could be another Ann Stanbury, of course, not listed as the records could be lost or destroyed. I'll have to keep looking.
Lucretia66

Return to General research queries