Moderator Control Panel ]

Feby Milner

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Feby Milner

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am

I'm quite fascinated by this ancestor. She was born in 1711 in Yorkshire and seems to have brought up illegitimate twins by herself named Nathan and Jane, born 1730, in Muker. These siblings weren't christened until 1745 in Muker nr. York. I can't find any trace of her parents, but I do wonder if she was disowned. I would be very interested in knowing more. Thanks.
Lucretia66

Re: Feby Milner

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Muker is a small village in Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales. In the 21st century, the population is under 300, and the whole parish not much more, so back in the early 18th century it was most likely much smaller. Hard to keep illegitimate twins secret! However, with such a small population, it should be relatively easy to find more records of the family - famous last words of course. The nearest town would be Richmond so they could have gone there.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby sdup26 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:17 pm

'Feby' could be the Pheby Milner who was christened in Muker 1/10/1711, father James.
Have you tried the genuki website? ( https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Grinton ) It has details of the area that includes Muker; Muker parish records are covered by
Cleveland FHS ( https://clevelandfhs.org.uk )
sdup26

Feby Milner

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 pm

I have looked on familysearch.org and found the following. Pheby Milner christened 1 Sept 1711, Muker, father Jas Milner. It would seem that if this is your Feby, the spelling as we would know it should probably be Phoebe. Looking further for the twins, although a supposed year of 1731 is given for Nathan, there is no supposed year of birth given for Jane. Therefore it is also possible that the children were not twins. It was quite common to ‘save up’ for Christenings of all the children in one service. I have seen as many as four together in my family. Hope that is helpful.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby Lucretia66 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Thank you very much.
One problem I have is that Milner at that time in northern Yorkshire was pretty common. I have another family branch called Milner from close by although 40 years apart and thought they must be related. I was surprised to find they weren't. Two unrelated families both called Milner.
I have come across Pheby Milner and her father Jas or James Milner too. I could never decide if I was related to them or not.
I did come across a detached page about Feby though late yesterday which states (with question marks) that Nathan may have been born in 1731 and that Jane may have been born in 1729! This is different to information available on another ancestry site. If true they would not be twins, as I was told previously.
It may be that I need to send for certificates here to find out more. I'm waiting for two certificates to arrive end of this month. I've never sent for any before, but there were no answers anywhere for me so I felt I had no choice. Hoping to find out who my grandfather's parents were on one side and who my great-grandmother's parents were on the other side. Can't help feeling they didn't want to be found and are hiding some secrets.
Lucretia66

Postby Lucretia66 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:38 pm

I may have found something interesting here. Her parents may have been Dutch. If so, I would have to search further abroad for information. I must say I have never come across this spelling of the name Phoebe before, but there is some evidence that it was spelled as Feby in Holland and some other countries, such as Germany. Since she worked in the milling industry, and I know a lot of Dutch people came over here at the time to work in mills, I'm banking on Dutch. If anyone has any information about Dutch people coming to Yorkshire to work in the mills at this time, could you please let me know? Thank you.
Lucretia66

Postby sdup26 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Unfortunately, it's just as likely that the clerk who heard 'Phoebe' as 'Feby' simply spelled it the way he heard it. But as Febe is the Italian variant of Phoebe, maybe you're right about Feby being a Dutch version, and the possibility of Dutch mill workers; have you contacted Cleveland FHS?
sdup26

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:40 pm

We have other ancestors from nearby with an English surname who gave some of their children first names which are rare at the time in England but popular in Holland. Unless, of course, they heard the Dutch names and simply decided to call their children by them. You never know...
Lucretia66

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:41 pm

May I just ask what Cleveland FHS is please?
Lucretia66

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:52 pm

FHS=Family History Society.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Next

Return to General research queries