Moderator Control Panel ]

Amended birth certificates

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Amended birth certificates

Postby lottie's mum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:42 pm

I'm looking for help in finding an original birth registration for my ancestor. Her birth registration on GRO had a notation as follows: JAMES, HILDA MARTHA
STONE, GRO Reference: 1905 S Quarter in SOUTH STONEHAM Volume 02C Page 48 Occasional Copy: A

I googled Occasional copy and found this from the Lost Cousins Newsletter:

If you've been frantically making use of the new online indexes of births and deaths you'll probably have come across the wording 'occasional copy' in the search results. I had a shrewd idea what this might mean, but rather than guess I invited the GRO to provide an explanation: These are going to be instances where the original registration has been amended in some way, requiring an “occasional copy” to be sent to the Registrar General (ie to supersede the original Quarterly Certified Copy). They won’t be late registrations, which would be sent in with the Quarterly Certified returns for the relevant quarter.
Family historians being inquisitive souls, we inevitably wonder what change has been made - so I also asked whether it would be possible to obtain a copy of the original entry: If a change has resulted in a re-registration of a birth, the new entry effectively supersedes the earlier one. The earlier entry remains in the index, but would have to be identified in the usual way and a copy of that earlier entry specifically ordered. GRO would routinely issue the latest entry unless the customer specifically requests and references the earlier entry and if the earlier entry was provided, GRO would enclose a covering letter stating that this Certificate cannot be used for Official Purposes."

I suspected that maybe Hilda was born before they married therefore giving cause for them to get her birth re-registered after her birth, but having received the certificate this is not the case. She was born on 4th July 1905 and her parents were married on 22nd April 1905.

I therefore looked for all births on FreeBmd using vol 2c and page 48a and tried cross matching to births using vol 2c page 48 to see if I could find her first registration - No luck

So, was she adopted? There was only 1 other girl on page 48 in Sept 1/4 but I have found her in the 1911 Census.

Has anybody any ideas on how I can find the original registration so I can get the original certificate. Thanks
lottie's mum

Re: Amended birth certificates

Postby ciderdrinker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 am

Hi

Tough one this and really interesting .

The only other Hilda I can see in the same quarter is a Hilda Hammerton Sep 1905 2c 45 at South Stoneham.
She isn't immediately coming up on other records.
Sorry I don't know what else to suggest.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby AntonyM » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm

An occasional copy is a return sent to GRO outside of the normal quarterly cycle.

On a birth it would almost always indicate a correction made after the original registration, and can be very minor or more significant - but it will not be a re-registration (they are something completely different), nor an indicator of adoption. Most importantly it is a change to an existing registration, not a completely different one.

Corrections are usually reproduced on the certificate, with some sort of marginal notation, so the certificate should usually (but not always) show what the change was making the corrected error obvious. Is there nothing on the certificate to indicate any change at all - even a minor spelling correction ?

Another reason for an occasional copy may be where an entry got missed in the usual quarterly return and was submitted to GRO separately later. As there doesn't appear to be another entry at GRO for her I wonder whether this was the case here.

To get to the most accurate information you could contact the registration office who hold the original registers for South Stoneham ( possibly Southampton ?) and ask them to issue a certificate.
AntonyM

Postby lottie's mum » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Thank you, I'll have a look and see if I can follow her. Spookily it was an Emma Beatrice Hamerton that I had followed through to the 1911 census. Whilst looking at her I found the death of a Frederick Hammerton, aged 50 registered South Stoneham

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
lottie's mum

Postby lottie's mum » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:10 pm

Thank you for your very informative reply, I've looked at the pdf again and there is nothing in the margins, however there isn't much of a margin so may have been missed off. How would the certificate from Southampton differ to the GRO entry? Would 48a just relate to changes to page 48 only or is it all corrections submitted at that time and just a coincidence that they are both 48? My understanding is therefore that any changes should have 2 entries, the second on an occasional copy, or the occasional copy includes any missed entries. How would adoptions be registered? I'm thinking that an adoption would be unlikely as they had only been married a few weeks but this in uncharted territory for me and my knowledge is limited.

lottie's mum

Postby lottie's mum » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:40 pm

ciderdrinker wrote:Hi

Tough one this and really interesting .

The only other Hilda I can see in the same quarter is a Hilda Hammerton Sep 1905 2c 45 at South Stoneham.
She isn't immediately coming up on other records.
Sorry I don't know what else to suggest.

Ciderdrinker

I've found her in 1911 census and 1939 register and death in 1970 all spelt with 1 M

lottie's mum

Postby AntonyM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:34 am

lottie's mum wrote:How would the certificate from Southampton differ to the GRO entry?

It may not, but they hold the original record - GRO only have copies of whatever they were sent later. Any correction would be made on that original. However, as I said in my previous reply, there could be administrative reasons, other than a correction, for submitting an occasional copy.

lottie's mum wrote:My understanding is therefore that any changes should have 2 entries, the second on an occasional copy, or the occasional copy includes any missed entries.

A correction adds to an existing entry, it doesn't create a new one. However, a corrected entry could appear more than once in the index (depending what the correction is).

lottie's mum wrote: How would adoptions be registered?

The birth should be registered as normal showing the actual mother and father(perhaps), and any later adoption doesn't change that. Adoptive parents don't get get to register, or re-register, the birth of a child ( unless they do it by lying to the registrar and claiming to be the actual parents), nor would any amendment be made to the original entry at that time.

The legal framework for adoption came in after the 1926 Adoption Act - when the word "adopted" would be entered in the margin of the original entry and a new record created in the Adopted Children's Register.
AntonyM

Postby lottie's mum » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Thank you AntonyM
lottie's mum

Return to General research queries