Moderator Control Panel ]

puzzling marriage certificates

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

puzzling marriage certificates

Postby mikeywales » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:26 am

My great grandparents seemed to have been married twice - but why ?
He was a career soldier who joined the Army in 1899 and soon found himself in South Africa serving in the 2nd Boer War, not long after returning to the Uk and while serving in Cork, Ireland he met and married a catholic girl (he was church of England) firstly on November 10th 1904 in Saint Lukes Church in Cork and then again on 22nd April 1907 in the registry office in Cork, the Army did not recognise their first marriage in 1904 for some reason and unfortunately that left two of their children being marked as "illegitimate" on his service records as one was born 12/09/05 and the other 2/10/06.
What could be the reason why their first marriage was not recognised ? would there be any record of the first marriage being annulled if thats what happened ? and why would they put bachelor and spinster as their "condition" on the second marriage certificate as they were clearly not as they were both previously married to each other ?.
Any light anyone can shed on this would be much appreciated - Thank you in advance - Mike
Attachments
Reg & Nora marriage certs.jpg
Reg & Nora marriage certs.jpg (538 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
mikeywales

Re: puzzling marriage certificates

Postby AntonyM » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:06 am

Soldiers needed the permission of their Commanding Officer to marry - presumably it wasn't given, or asked for, for the first marriage.
AntonyM

Postby elsabels » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:27 pm

The marriage certificate suggests the marriage was under 'Licence' as opposed to 'Banns', suggest you try and source the former
elsabels

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 pm

AntonyM wrote:Soldiers needed the permission of their Commanding Officer to marry - presumably it wasn't given, or asked for, for the first marriage.

Hm. But is that an Army rule or a UK law of marriage, do you know? If it's only an Army rule then I would have thought that, however grumpy the Army might be, the UK authorities would be quite happy that the marriage would be legitimate, in which case the Army clerks had no business describing the first two children as illegitimate, surely????

I'm just be logical here and logic may have nothing to do with it!!!!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:32 pm

I wonder if the problem was because this was a ‘mixed’ marriage of a Catholic and a Protestant. From what I have just been reading, in such a situation, the marriage had to take place in the Church of Ireland - which it was - but there had to be permission from the Catholic Church for the marriage to take place. Perhaps they didn’t seek the necessary permission and just applied for a licence instead. Not sure, just guessing but there are a lot of sites that could help.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby mikeywales » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:05 am

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated
mikeywales

Return to General research queries