Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Ann Palmer c.1772

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mary Ann Palmer c.1772

Postby DarrenP » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:22 am

Hello fellow researchers,
I have the mystery of a Mary Ann Palmer who was born c.1772 possibly in east Devon, the daughter of a John and Mary Palmer. I have not been able to find her baptism or any details of her parents other than a will and possible burial for her mother. The mother, Mary Palmer, died in 1816 in Lyme Regis and was buried in Comb Pyne, described as "of Lyme Regis". Her will was proved 1818.
Mary Ann married firstly to a John Cartwright Blake in 1790. He seems to have before 1805, as Mary Ann then married my ancestor Jonathan Dowdeswell in London.
If anyone can help me locate Mary Ann's baptism and any details of her parents, I would be much appreciated.
DarrenP

Re: Mary Ann Palmer c.1772

Postby ianbee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Bit of background..
The widowed Mary Ann Blake married Jonathan Dowdeswell, 19 April 1805, at St. Marlyebone.

Her mother, Mary Palmer, buried at Combpyne, Devon, 4 September 1816, age was 72. Apparently of Lyme Regis. Have only seen a transcript.

PCC will for her, 6 May 1818
Mary Palmer, Widow of Lyme Regis, Dorset
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... /r/D226452

Haven't got very far with it, but at the start it mentions the Rev. William Palmer of Ilton, Somerset.

DarrenP wrote:I have the mystery of a Mary Ann Palmer who was born c.1772 possibly in east Devon, the daughter of a John and Mary Palmer.

The best match might be in London.
St Stephen Coleman Street
17th June 1772
Palmer, Mary Anne
Dr. of John + Mary

There's a PCC will of John Palmer, Gentleman of Coleman Street London
11 March 1807
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... /r/D313189

Is also on ancestry, it is very short and sweet. Wife Mary.
It seems to have been written in 1771
Alas, is not a great image!

10 March 1807
Appeared personally, Joseph? ...

Says that John Palmer was formerly of the parish of St Stephen Coleman Street London
but late of Lyme Regis in the County of Dorset

Something to investigate perhaps.
Ian
ianbee

Postby avaline » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Great finds!

I'm struggling to read parts of the will, but I think the 'appeared personally' was Joseph Holder? of Saint Ann? Street and Peregrine Palmer of Barnards Inn, the latter being John's brother.
avaline

Postby DarrenP » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Many thanks to both of you for your help with this long running brick wall.
Apologies for not providing more detail.
I had looked at that baptism and will as well but had discounted it due to no mention of a daughter. Not sure how I missed the last bit dated 1807; sloppy on my part.
I had been investigating this same Palmer family as the Rev. William Palmer named in Mary's will would have been her brother-in-law. Odd that it doesn't mention it in her will. The William Peterson named was also a witness at Mary Ann's first marriage to John Cartwright Blake.
Once again many thanks to both of you.
DarrenP

Return to General research queries