Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

John James Calne 1846

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:00 pm

My Great Great Grandfather was born in Calne, Wiltshire approx. 1846. However, he wasn't the only one. On FreeBMD and Wiltshire BMD there are 2 records. One has mother's maiden name of Allen (She is Hester married to Henry) and the other is illegitimate born to Mary James. I have both baptisms as well. On my John's marriage certificate there is no father's name so I assume that he is the son of Mary. I would, however, like to eliminate John son of Henry and Hester. He is on the 1851 and 1861 census with Henry and Hester and is a cordwainer in 1861. Meanwhile John, son of Mary, is with another family in 1851 and with his mother, who is now married to John Balls (transcribed batte on fmp), in Bromley in 1861.

My ancestor is on the 1871,81,91,1901,1911 census in Southampton with his wife Emily (although they don't actually marry until 1874!). Adding weight to my theory is that Mary and her husband are also in Southampton from the 1871 census onwards, but I am unable to find the other one and can't confirm with certainty that son of Mary is the correct one.
Can anyone help me track the other John so I can eliminate him or would the consensus be that I'm not barking up the wrong tree. Thanks

Re: John James Calne 1846

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:03 pm

In case you haven't sourced this baptism

Name: John James
Christening Date: 28 Dec 1847
Christening Place: Calne, Wiltshire, England
Mother: Mary James
Entry adds illegitimate 10th House in r hand column Admitted into the church 17 Nov 1850 was this a private baptism

Name: John James (NB Brother Alfred was baptised on the same date)
Baptism Date: 7 May 1848
Baptism Place: Calne, Wiltshire, England
Father: Henry James
Mother: Esther

Entry on ancestry

Re: John James Calne 1846

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Thank you. Yes I have these, they helped me figure out there was definitely more than 1. Pretty sure the illigitimate one is my ancestor but want to eliminate Henry and Hester's son

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Post a reply