Moderator Control Panel ]

Unusual surname

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Unusual surname

Postby Will Mundy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:38 am

Good morning,

I am wondering if anyone could help me trace an ancestor with an unusual surname. Sarah Hidden married a William Holmes in Englefield in 1807 and had children in Tilehurst then Thealeefore moving to Stokenchurch. Sarah died after her husband in 1847 in Stokenchurch her age at death was about 78 making her born roughly in 1769. I can’t find a baptism anywhere for a Sarah Hidden during that period in Berkshire or Oxfordshire. Any ideas on how to get round this brick wall?
Will Mundy

Re: Unusual surname

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Will,
The first thing that comes to mind is that the dates don’t seem to add up. If she was born in 1769, she would have been around 38 when she married, and at that age, she would also be pretty close to the end of her child-bearing years, yet you say she had 2 or 3 children following the marriage! This makes me question whether you have got the correct death for her. Check if you can find her parish burial record, which may confirm she was the widow of William or not.

Secondly, have you seen the parish register for the marriage, or are you working from a transcription? Could her surname have been mis-transcribed? or was she the widow of a Mr Hidden?

Finally, don’t assume she was born close by. I have an ancestor who married in London, and fortunately the marriage entry states he came from Shap, in Cumberland. Which to me was totally unexpected, like you I’d always assumed our ancestors never moved far, but this case proved me wrong!
Mick Loney

Postby sdup26 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Mick beat me to it - Sarah's age needs consideration. If she really was 38 on marriage to William, was she a widow? It's possible you can't find a baptism for Sarah Hidden because that wasn't her birth surname.
sdup26

Postby ciderdrinker » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:23 am

Hello
Firstly can I say there is a Bank of England Will for her sister in law Sarah Holmes in 1834 which leaves £3400 which suggests the family are quite affluent and would therefore be more mobile than usual.
There is of course William's Will of 1834 as well but neither give extra details for Sarah Hidden.

This would suggest that perhaps you should widen your search for Sarah Hidden.
Hidden is a name popular in Staffordshire around the Rugeley /Cannock area.
The 1841 census does give her not born Oxfordshire.

The only other record that may be her is her appointment to the Post Office.
Sarah Holmes at Stokenchurch 6 May 1829 in room of her husband ,no other job .£200 penalty bond .Vacant on her decease.
Or though we do know there were two Mrs Sarah Holmes.

Sorry the Post Office appointment is the other one widow of Richard Holmes.(William's brother).

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Return to General research queries