Moderator Control Panel ]

Thoughts wanted on dates of death...

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Thoughts wanted on dates of death...

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:10 pm

I have two relatives who died when their submarines were sunk during the Great War and I would like opinions on what others would put as their dates of death.
Albert Samuel Lister was in the D3 when it was sunk in error by a French airship in the English Channel on 12 March 1918, but his service doc states he was ‘Discharged Dead’ on 15 March, which is the date CWGC gives as his date of death.
Likewise Frederick Davis, who went down with the E5 on 07 March 1916, but was DD on 11 March 1916.
Rightly or wrongly, I have used the date of the actions in which the boats were sunk rather than the CWGC dates, but what are others thoughts on this?

(and I had never heard of these men when I became a RN submariner in 1967!)
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: Thoughts wanted on dates of death...

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:29 am

Phil,
In situations like this, I put down the date of death as the day they were actually sunk, together with a source citation. Then add a note stating that they were officially declared dead on dd mmm yyyy, and give a separate source citation for the note.
Somewhere down the line, someone will see the official date of death, and wonder why you have entered a different date. The note will make it clear to them what went on. :D
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:16 am

Interesting case. I'd agree with Mike's approach. Presumably the CWGC just worked from the service papers - no time to look back at the history.

There must be variants on this - if someone went missing and was declared dead years later, I'd put their date of death as between the last date that they were known of, and the date that they were declared dead - unless there was reason to choose a tighter description, such as "about June 1917", as an estimate.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:01 pm

Thank you for your thoughts Mick & Adrian, you’ve concurred with how I’ve done it. I’ve inserted the action reports for both sinkings as an explanation. I did query this with the CWGC some years ago but the reply was that they had to use the official date.
One other person has his Canadian army record noting he died between 2nd & 5th June 1916 and the CWGC have used 2nd June as his date of death which seems logical. Anyway, thanks again...
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Return to Genealogy chat