Moderator Control Panel ]

Restoring Old Photos and Postcards

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Restoring Old Photos and Postcards

Postby ksouthall » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas on how to repair torn photos and postcards.

I have some which have been torn in half which I'd like to try and stick back together. When I say torn, they were ripped in half by a relative with dementia as she couldn't remember who they were of, however the details are written on the back.

Can anyone recommend a suitable product for this? I wasn't sure if glue or sellotape would be best.

My plan is to scan the photos and postcards in once repaired so would prefer to use a glue that won't show up on the scans or damage the paper and ink in the long term.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Happy New Year,

Katherine
ksouthall

Re: Restoring Old Photos and Postcards

Postby sdup26 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:49 pm

A local craft shop/photographic shop may sell acid-free tape to mend your photos.
Alternatively, lie the torn halves on the scanner and cover them with something heavy enough to hold them down together, but which won't interfere with the picture while you scan - like a magazine inside a brown paper bag, or even folded dark material. The join might show as a slight line on the resulting picture, but it would be better than using glue or sellotape, which are really harmful to photographs; the damage they can cause can't be undone.
Last edited by sdup26 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdup26

Postby ksouthall » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that and see how I get on.

One is a postcard from a brother to a sister giving his address during WWI with a regimental number, so I should be able to find out about his war service.
ksouthall

Postby sdup26 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Sorry - I was adding the idea of acid-free tape while you were replying! I do hope you're able to find out more about your soldier.
sdup26

Postby ksouthall » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:13 pm

sdup26 wrote:Sorry - I was adding the idea of acid-free tape while you were replying! I do hope you're able to find out more about your soldier.

Thanks for this. I think Hobbycraft might have some so I'll try there tomorrow.
ksouthall

Postby fhb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:12 am

Whe I've had torn photos I've scanned both bits into the PC and used Photoshop to edit the two bits together. It works very well and unless you already knew it had been damaged you wkuldn't guess.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
fhb

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Thank you for these tips, I've a few damaged photos

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Joan

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:34 pm

fhb wrote:Whe I've had torn photos I've scanned both bits into the PC and used Photoshop to edit the two bits together.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try this first.
ksouthall

Return to General research queries