Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree Maker and New Laptop

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Family Tree Maker and New Laptop

Postby TheBakerFamily » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi
I have recently had to purchase a new laptop and would like to transfer my family history research to it. I have Family Tree Maker 2006. I have 3 questions:
How do I transfer it?
What do I need to do to update the software as I have been told that some of the facilities no longer work?
Finally would the information be automatically backed up when I do my weekly back up of my computer using the Windows facility?
Although confident using a computer no so familiar with more technical information.
Any advice would be really appreciated. Family research has been on hold for a while, but family now older and I have more time to get back to it.
TheBakerFamily

Re: Family Tree Maker and New Laptop

Postby JaneyH » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:10 pm

I’m not a techie expert by any means but I am a long-standing user of FTM.

I imagine that moving to a new laptop will mean your old software won’t work properly. (I assume you’re now using Windows 10 on the new laptop.)

The FTM software has been upgraded to 2010, 2014 and now 2017 is the latest. The company owning the software has now changed, from Ancestry to MacKiev. I suggest you look at their FAQs on their website, which includes details about upgrading to a new computer:
https://www.mackiev.com/familytreemaker/ftm/faq.html

If that doesn’t help then you can always do live chat with their support team:
https://www.mackiev.com/techsupport/ftm/livechat.html

I upgraded my laptop last year and moved all my old research over with no problems. Obviously you should back everything up to an external drive or similar just in case something doesn’t go to plan.

I should perhaps add that while the latest FTM software works very well, there are currently some glitches with the way it interacts with Ancestry. They’re working on fixes, but some of the issues are a bit frustrating. For example, you can’t edit a search, you have to do a new one each time.

Hope that helps, Janey

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby TheBakerFamily » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:19 pm

HI
Thank you for this, yes I am on WIndows 10. What you have told me is really helpful, as I didn't know who to approach for any upgrades, and now I do and its encouraging to hear you have done this relatively easily. I noted you have answered from your iphone, is that all linked in too, as I too have an iphone.
TheBakerFamily

Postby JaneyH » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:30 pm

I have the Ancestry app on my iPhone which I sometimes use on the train on the way to and from work. This is only for checking hints or looking at new DNA matches. I work mainly on the laptop though. (At least when my husband isn’t hogging it for his studies!)

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Return to Genealogy chat