Moderator Control Panel ]

Location of remains

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Location of remains

Postby Loolawson » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Hello, I am looking for help in where to locate the remains of my sister, she was born in December 1943 and died a day later. She was not stillborn. I have a copy of both birth and death certificates. We (the family) have always been led to believe she was buried at the local Cemetary possibilities in a dual grave. However we have contacted the Cemetary who have no records of her burial for up to 6 months after the date of death. I have also contacted the coroners office. I have reached a brick wall as to where her remains might be. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Loolawson

Re: Location of remains

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 am

Oh dear - I understand why you want to know - this isn't just another genealogy query, is it?

Just two ideas from me that you might have already considered:
- Was a hospital involved? If so, some sort of approach to the hospital or its present-day successor, might help - they might not know the burial location but might be able to identify the undertakers or the process that the hospital went through.
- I've seen it suggested that at one time, babies who died were put into conveniently available coffins, but what I don't know is how much truth there is in this story. Could that be what was meant by "dual grave"? If the undertakers did that, then there must be a distinct possibility that the cemetery never had any paperwork for your sister, only for the "prime" occupant of the coffin. Or maybe they did have paperwork but as it was not the usual way of working, it got filed somewhere else and eventually lost.

Best of luck with your search.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries