Moderator Control Panel ]

No birth or death records for an aunt.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

No birth or death records for an aunt.

Postby gill233 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm trying to find out what happened to my aunt ( my mother's sister). As far as I know she was born in 1919, named Gladys Davies, in Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, S.Wales. My grandmother told me she had died as a teenager (16/17) after an accident. I think she was in service? I don't know if it was local. I was told she was scalded lifting boiling water off a stove, my sister thinks she was burnt in a fire. I can't find a birth for her, my grandmothers maiden name was Harris (Mary Jane) and grandfather ( William Richard) Davies. I have sent for several certificates but they are all wrong.
I also can't find a death for her. I thought she was buried with the rest of the family but my sister says her body was never returned to the family. I have tried looking at local newspapers from the 1930's as it might have been reported as an accident but can't find anything.
If anybody could point me in the right direction for this I would be very grateful
gill233

Re: No birth or death records for an aunt.

Postby phsvm » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 am

A few things to clarify which may help others with your search.

Your grandparent's marriage is registered in 1913 so could she have been born earlier into their marriage? What evidence to you have that she was born in 1919?

What evidence do you have that her name was Gladys? She may have been known by this name but could it have been her second name and her birth is registered under a different name.

There is a Gwladys Davies, mother's maiden name Harris registered in Merthyr T in 1913. Different spelling of Gwladys and registered before your grandparent's marriage registration but have you looked at that?

I know from experience with my own research that individuals remember things in different ways - my mother and her sister would swear blind their version of the same event was accurate yet the two recollections would often vary enormously. You've said various people have told you different things but maybe you need to take all they say with a pinch of salt and, unless you have evidence to back up what they say, treat it with caution. It must have been a traumatic experience for your grandmother, even recounting it to you years later so are you certain that what she said was absolutely accurate? I remember being told that one of my aunts died of smallpox. She didn't, she actually died from the vaccination given to prevent small pox.

I know this all sounds negative but don't give up. I'm sure people on this forum will be happy to help with your search but a bit more information may be useful.
phsvm

Postby gill233 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will certainly look at all the things you mentioned. I have a feeling that Gladys may well have been a second name, as my mother was always known by her second name so will try that. She was the fifth child so unlikely that she was born earlier but again I haven't ruled that out.
Will let you know if I have any luck. Thanks again.
gill233

Postby sdup26 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:49 pm

There's a baptism for a Gwladys Mary Davies in 1915, at Dowlais, Glamorgan (a couple of miles from Merthyr T), address 55 David Street, parents William, a railman, and Mary Jane.
sdup26

Postby gill233 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you for that. I have looked for a baptism but couldn't find one and they did live in Dowlais. Where did you find it, I have used Ancestry and Family search and couldn't find anything? The church would have been St John's I think.
gill233

Postby sdup26 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:45 pm

sdup26

Postby ianbee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:23 pm

phsvm wrote:There is a Gwladys Davies, mother's maiden name Harris registered in Merthyr T in 1913. Different spelling of Gwladys and registered before your grandparent's marriage registration but have you looked at that?

In the original GRO birth index she seems to be indexed under both Harris and Davies (mother's maiden name Harris x 2)
And on the new GRO index, just the once
June 1913 Merthyr Tydfil 11a 1679
Davies, Gwladys May
mother — (dash!)

So, on the face of it, it appears that the father's name was on the certificate, i.e. he signed the register, but he was not married to the mother at the time. I think it has been established on this forum that in such cases the new index will give only the one surname, the father's?

It's interesting that William Richard Davies and Mary Jane Harris married so soon after that, 7 July 1913, in Dowlais
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JV3J-ZW1

There are also baptisms in Dowlais of several children of William Richard and Mary Jane Davies, all in 1925
Including
Gladys May Davies
Date 1925
Age 12
Place Dowlais, Glamorgan, Wales
Address 3 Thomas Ter Dowlais
Occupation Steel Worker
Father's Name William Richard
Mother's Name Mary Jane
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFHF-PKY

And we can cross reference her with one of the others baptized in 1925, the fairly distinctively named Muriel Nesta, age 8, or born 1917 (I don't know what is exactly written on the register!)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFZB-DYT

Birth March 1917 Merthyr Tydfil 11a 1436
Davies, Muriel Nesta
mother Harris

So it looks like the 1913 Gwladys May birth could be the one.
Attachments
June 1913.JPG
June 1913.JPG (24.33 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:58 pm

This could be her death
Sep 1929 Hendon 3a 322
Davies, Gladys May
age 16
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail, Monday 15 July 1929 (edited transcript from OCR text, not seen original)

While Gladys May Davies (16), a Welsh servant at a house in Golders Green Road, was leaning over a gas stove to shut a window her clothing caught fire. Although her mistress wrapped a rug round her and put out the flames the girl was badly burned, and died in hospital ...
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Also a report in the same newspaper, 3 July 1929 (Gladys Davies)
And in the Hendon & Finchley Times, 5 July 1929 (Maid in Flames)
So sad that she died later.
Ian
Attachments
Hendon + Finchley Times 5 July 1929.JPG
Hendon + Finchley Times 5 July 1929.JPG (216.45 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries