Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Farrell Ireland to Australia

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas Farrell Ireland to Australia

Postby ElaineFarrell » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:25 am

I have never been able to progress this brick wall with my grand uncle so I’m posting here in the hope perhaps someone could give me some advice or help. The details I have are sketchy unfortunately.

Thomas Farrell was born in near Lanesboro Longford in June 1885 to John Farrell and Bridget Rhatigan. He is present in the 1901 census in Ireland but not in 1911 ( when he would have been about 25 or 26). Two of his brothers and his sister emigrated to US but he is believed to have gone to Australia but I haven’t been able to track him down on any passenger lists. Family lore is that he worked as a drover in Australia but I have no documentation or location information. In the 1960s an attempt was made to locate him as there was a small inheritance from one of his brothers but he was never found. I have since heard that enquiries to police authorities at the time got a reply that he may have been killed in 1942 bombings in the Northern Territories as he was in that area. I appreciate this is very very little to go on but I would appreciate any ideas anyone has about trying to find out a little bit more about his life and death in Australia .

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
ElaineFarrell

Re: Thomas Farrell Ireland to Australia

Postby sdup26 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Before searching, can I ask if you've ruled out the death of the Thomas Farrell born 1885 Longford, died Dec quarter 1910, Longford, Vol No 3?
sdup26

Postby ElaineFarrell » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01 am

sdup26 wrote:Before searching, can I ask if you've ruled out the death of the Thomas Farrell born 1885 Longford, died Dec quarter 1910, Longford, Vol No 3?
Yes thank you . He didn’t die in Ireland at least of that I am sure.

ElaineFarrell

Postby sdup26 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:52 am

So far, while I can find several US & Oz entries relating to a Thomas Farrell born 1885 in Ireland, I'm afraid I can't find one that can definitely be identified as your Thomas. What were the names of his siblings who emigrated? Do you know - roughly - when they left Ireland?
sdup26

Postby ElaineFarrell » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Thank you so much - I appreciate your help. This is basically the wall I hit also as it is a common name. The only thing which I used to track and distinguish his siblings in US was their mothers maiden surname Rhatigan ( also spelled as Ratigan, Rattigan and even Radigan) and that was how I tracked all of them down. I’m almost 100% sure he did go to Oz but I haven’t had any success with the records there as I haven’t found a death record ( which might have his mothers maiden name on it) or any record with that information. WW1 records in US of his siblings also helped identify them but I haven’t found equivalent records in my online searches of Australian records. His siblings went to US between 1903 and 1907.

ElaineFarrell

Postby sdup26 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:45 pm

I've got nowhere fast with Thomas! But I wonder if you've used the TROVE resource? I've tried it, but wouldn't be able to identify any other family members mentioned, so it would be better left to you:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y
sdup26

Postby ElaineFarrell » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:12 pm

He is so elusive! I can’t begin to thank you so much for all your efforts- I know it was a difficult if not impossible task. I had not heard of TROVE so this is a new option for me to try . Thank you so much for your time trying to track down the untraceable Thomas.

ElaineFarrell

Return to General research queries