Moderator Control Panel ]

Regiment needed Coleraine 1800s

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Regiment needed Coleraine 1800s

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:57 pm

If Nancy is in those censuses, what does it say about when she was born and where?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AnnieScot » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:04 am

'Ireland' - the Scottish census only identify county if born in Scotland. Her ages across census and poor relief records are consistent with being born c1850ish. She had nice handwriting (signing marriage certificate) so possibly numerate as well as literate?!

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
AnnieScot

Postby MoVidger » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Have you uncovered any information regarding Nancy's mother Agnes Hemphill? The surname is quite prevalent in the Coleraine area in the early 19th-century.
MoVidger

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:23 am

So, if we say for simplicity that she's born in 1850, then that is basically 20y after the FMP pensioner left the Army - at which point he already had 3 children according to his discharge details. Further, he'd be about 65 at her birth.

That's not totally impossible but nor is it particularly likely. Certainly not unless he remarried. Coupled with the discrepancy in rank, I think that you're very right to doubt that he's the one that you want.

If the correct father is a Chelsea Pensioner, then he's supposed to be in the FMP records - but how could you find him and recognise him? Don't know. Sorry.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AnnieScot » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks Adrian - although not resolved it's good to have reassurance re uncertainty!!

Re Agnes Hemphill - can't find any trace of her linked to the others. I did find an Anne Kane who died age 78 in 1866 and the death certificate was signed by Nancy Kane but Anne was a 'farmer's widow' so unlikely. Place looks like Moneysallin (Coleraine) but writing not clear. Nancy was present at the death at Kilrea (and interestingly I found references some time ago to a Sergeant Roderick Kane at Kilrea who seemed to be a clerk but discounted as no certainty 'my' Sergeant Kane!).

Thanks to both for your help
AnnieScot

Previous

Return to Military help