Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 NS - how important were address details?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1939 NS - how important were address details?

Postby nzgenz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 am

I'm researching birth mother details for an adopted relative, and on different government documents, the birth mother gives different address (and occupation) details.
On the 1939 National Survey, she is 16 and living with her parents and sibs, and working in a local factory.
On her child's adoption records in 1937/38, she says she has been working for a local family from the age of 12 (presumably as a mother's helper). She continued working for the local family (and living with them) until the 1970's.
I can understand that an accurate address might not be so important for ration books, but I had always assumed identity cards to require the actual residential address.
Any suggestions welcomed.
Regards
Andrea
nzgenz

Re: 1939 NS - how important were address details?

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:03 am

What you may have forgotten, is that this was a time when people were being evacuated, so possibly moved around quite freqently. If she was living at that address for only a few weeks, it may have been overlooked.
Mick Loney

Postby nzgenz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:39 am

Thanks Nick, but this was her birth family's address, and members of her family were still living at that address in the 1950's.
nzgenz

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:57 am

According to Wikipedia, "Children under 16 were issued with Identity Cards but they were to be kept by their parents". While she is 16 at this point, it might be that the limit was misinterpreted and her card automatically given to her parents. On the other hand, plenty of evacuees had the cards made out to the address where they were living.

I would suspect that it's simply a case that her residence with the other family might not be as permanent as people think and for something as official as this, she's probably physically gone home just because the families think that her own family is her "proper" address.

I know that my great uncle, his wife and child had cards made out to the address where they were but it wasn't their residence - just his mother in law's. So they certainly had cards made out to entirely different counties from where they lived.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 am

Just remembered - changes of address were recorded but handled locally so they don't appear in the Register - or at least, not in the bit that we see. The card itself has space for several addresses. So any odd address could be corrected to be new residence later.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Adrian,
Quite right, my own card has two addresses on it! 3 Horsebrook and 4 Horsebrook, Calne. When I looked at these houses recently, they seemed rather grand, so assume mum and dad were simply lodgers.(whoops, rather given away my age :D )
Mick Loney

Postby nzgenz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Thank you for the info Nick. I'll have to do some further research on her teen years.

Regards
Andrea
nzgenz

Return to General research queries