Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth info for John Barton from Co Kerry

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Birth info for John Barton from Co Kerry

Postby Mariner Aus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:25 am

Good morning,

I'm doing research for my wife's side of the family.
Can anyone help with the birth info for John Barton born approx 1864 to Glenbeigh Co Kerry Ireland
His parents were Daniel Patrick Barton (Farmer) and Mary Fitzgerald.
Any information on John's parents or his siblings would be greatly appreciated as well.

Kind regards

Pieter
Mariner Aus

Re: Birth info for John Barton from Co Kerry

Postby shanew147 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:08 am

I see a number of John Barton Catholic Baptisms (no sign of any Church of Ireland) in the area around the right time, and two in the parish of Glenbeigh/Glencar, also a number of Barton civil births, which started in 1864, in the area in Caherciveen & Killarney districts, but none that I have found so far with the parents names you mentioned - what was the source you had for John's place & date of birth ?

Do you have the occupation for Daniel from his sons marriage ?

I located the baptism of a likely sister to your John - Bridget baptised August 1850 in Glenbeigh/Glencar RC parish.

edit - just located a baptism for a John Barton to the parents names you mentioned - a little bit earlier than you thought on the 13 Aug 1859, also RC parish of Glenbeigh/Glencar, family residence is given as Curraheen (townland) parents Daniel Barton & Mary Fitzgerald.
Last edited by shanew147 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
shanew147

Postby shanew147 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:27 am

just to add - also included in the transcripts for Glenbeigh / Glencar parish is the marriage for Daniel Barton & Mary Fitzgerald on about the 1st February 1846 (dates are unclear in the register).

There's also baptism of another child named Patrick Barton to these parents in December 1846

Images of the the registers for the marriage & baptisms should be included on the National Library of Ireland website.
shanew147

Postby Mariner Aus » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:06 am

Thank you Shane for all your research.

I based John's birth year on the fact he is listed as 24 years of age on his wedding cert in Australia in 1888. So it's interesting to see his birth registered as 1859 rather than around 1864.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Pieter
Mariner Aus

Return to General research queries