Moderator Control Panel ]

Name Variants Find My Past

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Name Variants Find My Past

Postby Norfolk Nan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:03 am

Does anyone understand why when I tick the box for name variants for the name Ashby on Find My Past I only get listings for Ashby and not the usual variations such as Ashbee? Or vice versa?
Norfolk Nan

Re: Name Variants Find My Past

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:14 am

I think it depends on how the site does its variants. Some sites can do mechanical comparisons of any 2 names using something like Soundex. Others, like FindMyPast, seem to use lists - not provided by FMP - and if Ashby / Ashbee isn't in that list, they won't be regarded as variants. Whereas Soundex will compare those 2 and regard them as variants. Soundex, on the other hand, is poor at some other name pairs because it cuts off the comparison after roughly 4 consonants.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sdup26 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:54 am

On Find My Past, try using wildcards when searching. For example, putting Ashb* into the surname search box brings up variants including Ashbery and Ashbridge.
sdup26

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Important to be reminded of wild cards - I suspect that I should be using them more than I do.

However, not all names are amenable to them - I tried to find a wild card version of Pleass that would cover all its variants and failed dismally - I kept getting Pleasance, which was annoying. (According to Somerset Archives as was, Pleass variants include Plaice... :-) )

For Marley, I experimented a bit and ended up on FMP doing each search in 2 goes - Marley and variants first then (possibly?) Marleigh and variants. There is no single answer - you just have to try different things. And remember...

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Norfolk Nan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:27 pm

As I'm doing a county trawl its easier to go parish-by-parish and make the checking more manageable but it's frustrating not to be able to rely on the software. I have a blind spot for wild cards so must make an effort to get the knack, I'm sure they'd help. I'm new to Find My Past (usually opt for Ancestry) so finding my way around is an interesting challenge - I like some bits, hate others. Thanks for replies, all interesting stuff.
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries