Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing Birth Families

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing Birth Families

Postby Norfolk Nan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Can anyone offer suggestions for pushing a family line in the 1700s when a baptism and any suggestion of a birth family is missing please?

The first mention of Daniel Green is at his marriage in 1768 in Haversham, Bucks. He is recorded as from the neighbouring parish of Little Linford. Shortly after the marriage he baptises the first of several children in nearby Milton Keynes Village where he stays until death in 1783.

I've searched PRs for a likely baptism without any luck. Of course its possible he wasn't baptised, or it's missing from old records, but I've tried to connect him to any of the Green families in the area without certainty. There is one other Green family, (of Thomas Green) moving into Milton Keynes Village three or four years before Daniel but I can't find any documented connection. However, Daniel names one last son Thomas and all three die within days of each other suggesting at least a neighbourly connection.

What do others do when faced with similar brick walls? Thank you.
Norfolk Nan

Re: Missing Birth Families

Postby Cachalot6972 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:57 am

He may have been living in Little Linford when he married, but where he may have been born is a whole new kettle of fish. Working on the premise that, in those days anyway, most people didn't stray too far from home, a nifty little program called Parish Locator gives 34 parishes within a 5-mile radius of Little Linford. Within a 10-mile radius, there's an eye-watering 113 parishes. I think you may be busy checking them all for your man!

Parish Locator is freeware and can be downloaded from: http://www.benynet.co.uk/ParLocDL.html
It's quite a small program and works under Win10.

Phil
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: Missing Birth Families

Postby Norfolk Nan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks Phil. I've been looking for almost ten years and have searched as many PRs as I could get my hands on when I lived in the area, and included Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire in the trawl. There aren't that many Daniel Greens to pick from but I've yet to find one that I could claim as a possible. I thought I'd found him in nearby Woburn but a very astute (??) distant cousin discovered that that candidate had moved to London and never returned so I am back to square one.
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries