Moderator Control Panel ]

Richard Jones - Shropshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Richard Jones - Shropshire

Postby ClareBear » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Hello
I need some help in trying to locate the death (and/or the burial) of my 4 x great grandfather. I have found quite a bit about his life but his death is a real mystery.

Richard Jones was born in north Shropshire in 1811 - I believe his father was William Jones (shoemaker). Place of birth varies from Wem/Whithcurch depending on which document you read.
He married his first wife - Sarah Madeley in Whitchurch, Shropshire in 1833. They move to Market Drayton, they have three sons, and Sarah died here in 1856.
He married his second wife - Mira Barber in Market Drayton in 1858. She died between 1861 and 1870 though I have yet to locate her death or burial (another mystery!)
He married his third wife - Phoebe Boddy in 1870 in Market Drayton, and she died in 1885 (leaving him money in her will) Nothing in her will suggests that she outlived him.

Richard was a Shoemaker by trade, working in Market Drayton from the late 1850s up to at least the early 1890s. He is listed in various trade directories over the years as Shoemaker/Bootmaker, the last entry in 1891. He is not on any census for 1891. He is on the electoral register for 1886, for Market Drayton. And he is known as Richard Jones all his life - no different or shortened name at any time.

I cannot find his death anywhere. I would love to be able to complete this ancestor's life story but this one final detail is a mystery.

Any help, no matter how small, would be much appreciated.
ClareBear
ClareBear

Re: Richard Jones - Shropshire

Postby ciderdrinker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi
Can't see Richard bur this could be Mira Barber born 1806-1811 Cheswardine
Maria Jones buried age 60 3.3.1868 of Drayton at Drayton in hales.

His third marriage is at the Methodist chapel,have you tried their records?

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby woodchal » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:06 pm

Some random thoughts

1) Who was the executor the third Mrs Jones' will?
2) Who reported the death on her death certificate
3) Have you followed all the offspring to see if was living/died with one of them around 1891
4) have you contacted local family history society who might be able help
woodchal

Postby ianbee » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:25 pm

1886 probate calendar entries for Phoebe Jones died 28 Nov 1885
Second entry says Richard Jones of Audley, Staffordshire
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Ca ... 6#calendar
ianbee

Postby woodchal » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Unusually she has two records in the England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966, 1973-1995.

One is a will where probate is granted to two (I guess professional) people "with certain limitations" and two months later a second one where administration of the "rest of her estate" (ie no will) is given to Richard Jones boot-maker of Audley "under certain specialities".

I don't understand the detailed meaning of these two index entries, maybe others in the forum can help, but you should probably get a copy of the will and maybe look for Richard in Audley.

Edit - snap Ian
woodchal

Postby ciderdrinker » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:23 am

Hi
You Guys have already done all the work but here is the death entry.

Richard Jones Newcastle under Lyme Dec 1890 age 79 Vol 6B 48

Buried Madeley All Saints Staffordshire 31 Dec 1890
Burial register gives death Dec 28th of Onneley/Anneley

Looking for the gravestone at Madeley I found this
Ann, w/o Thomas JONES,
Of Onneley, 6 May 1857, 41
Thomas, above, 24 April 1897, 82 Grave B52

They've not done the full graveyard yet and I can't see Richard's grave if it survived.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby ClareBear » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Many thanks for everyone's brilliant help.

I sent off for the death certificate for Maria Jones - wrong person! Wrong husband who was not a shoemaker. So Mira/Mirah or maybe Maria's death is still a mystery.

I too had come across Richard Jones death in Newcastle U Lyme, but wasn't sure if I should send for it as I couldn't find any link to him moving away - no direct family that I could find who had moved here, though through other branches of the Jones there are Newcastle U Lyme links.

I think I may need to send for that death certificate and fingers crossed it will be him!

Once again thanks for all the help - I'll let you know what happens next!

ClareBear
ClareBear

Postby ianbee » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:41 pm

ClareBear wrote:I think I may need to send for that death certificate and fingers crossed it will be him!

Hold fire!
You may already have it
Death: Richard Jones 1890
post55367.html#p55367
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:57 pm

I am reluctant to mention this one
1. Because I haven't yet seen the images of the burial/baptism records, or even the Jones-Barber marriage*
2. It may already have been eliminated!

Baptism at Cheswardine, Shropshire, 13 October 1799, Mira Barber, parents Robert + Sarah.
If this is the Mira who married Richard Jones, then her age is out in 1861, and possibly compared to 1841/51
i.e. Mira Barber born Cheswardine (age 45) in Drayton in Hales in 1851

Death
Dec 1869 Newcastle under Lyme 6b 53
Jones, Myra
age 69

Seems to have been buried at Audley (St James the Great), 24 November 1869.
Could Richard have had an earlier connection with Audley?
* Not sure that the 1858 marriage is online anyway.
** Shropshire BMD (don't use that very often!) - Market Drayton Register Office or Registrar Attended
ianbee

Postby ciderdrinker » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:40 am

Hello
Given the date of Richard's death could he have been visiting relatives at Onnerley?
He/She could have asked him to stay for the Holidays.
The Thomas Jones I spotted was son of John and Elizabeth Jones who ran the White Swan at Madeley.
Thomas was a farmer at Yew Tree farm Onnerley so he didn't take over the pub.
John 1771 - 3.11.1833 was not born at Madeley so could he have been your William's brother?

Grandfather and Grandmother seem to be Richard and Mary Jones at Audley 28.10.1770.But I can't see any more children at Audley.
They seem to have married at Mucklestone 5.6.1759 Richard Jones husbandman and Mary Underwood
wit Edward Boon and John Skel?

I don't know what you have before Richard and William so of course I could be really wrong.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Next

Return to General research queries