Moderator Control Panel ]

Fold3 at TNA Kew

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Fold3 at TNA Kew

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm

So there is good news and bad news. You may remember us discussing (ranting about?) the Western Front Association pension records on Ancestry and how the indexes are on Ancestry but the images on Fold3.

I was at Kew today and tried one of the TNA terminals. It has Ancestry and other sites on a menu - but not Fold3. I tried a military service papers record on Ancestry and found one that directed me to the image on Fold3. I could click that and get through to the image on Fold3, no problem.

However, the Card Catalogue did not appear to contain the WFA pension records. When I checked the website details, it appears that TNA have the Ancestry Institution Edition, so my suspicion is that the Institution Edition doesn't contain everything. (I have a feeling that I've read that before). In particular, the Institution Edition doesn't contain the WFA pension records???

I tried to check this with the TNA help desk there but, no surprise, I was way beyond what they knew. And the LDS desks there appear to have the same Institution Edition.

I guess that there is still a possibility that the WFA stuff simply isn't in the card catalogue yet, but for the moment it rather looks like those of us who refuse to pay the extra will have to wait until the next free access weekend on Ancestry / Fold3. But some Fold3 stuff IS accessible from Ancestry at Kew.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Fold3 at TNA Kew

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:14 pm

Actually, the WFA stuff, I just found, is in the Card Catalogue for my own account, accessed from my phone, so unless I was going totally daft reading it, it's not in the Institution Edition card catalogue.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:48 pm

Has it not just come on there today?
50,485 records seems a bit low.
Ian
Attachments
Card Catalogue.JPG
Card Catalogue.JPG (25.09 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Not sure when it went into the ordinary Card Catalogue, Ian. I don't think that it was there 11 November because I was accessing it via a saved URL precisely because I couldn't find it in my ordinary subscriber Card Catalogue. Certainly it wasn't in the Card Catalogue for the Institution Edition at TNA this morning.

And yes, that number does seem a bit light....

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:55 am

The belated appearance of the pension records in the CC has hit the blogs
https://anglo-celtic-connections.blogsp ... dgers.html

Back in July JDR noticed a thread on here (with contributions by Adrian)
https://anglo-celtic-connections.blogsp ... gland.html
ianbee

Return to Genealogy chat