Moderator Control Panel ]

Ordering Irish birth certificate

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ordering Irish birth certificate

Postby Rosemary Collins » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:02 am

Hi guys,

Please forgive me for hijacking the forum, but I've come across a gap in my genealogy knowledge that I'd love to have your help with! I'm helping a family friend with his family history research and I've found a potential match for the ancestor he's looking for - Henry Edward Carroll, born 17 (?) January 1893 in Swineford. I've attached the birth record I found on Irish Genealogy. I tried ordering the birth certificate on www.certificates.ie but it seems to say it's mandatory to include the mother's birth name, which seems odd as surely some people would order the birth certificate to find out the mother's name! I also can't read the mother Mary Carroll's maiden name in the birth record - can anyone make out the handwriting? It also makes me uneasy that the form doesn't ask for any identifying number for the record or anything - it seems to me that I could fill in the form with the name, DOB, mother's name etc and pay the 20 euros fee (plus two euros delivery), but they could identify the wrong Henry Carroll in response and send me the wrong certificate. Has anyone else used this website to order an Irish certificate? Does it usually accurately identify the right person?

Thanks,

Rosemary
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 10.51.50.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 10.51.50.png (149.99 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Ordering Irish birth certificate

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:19 am

Hello
Not actually ordered a certificate because the image is on line but if it helps their marriage gives her maiden name as Halligan on the indexes .
Marriage at Swineford Vol 4 405 in 1875
Actually it was the 7 Dec 1874
Patrick landholder Bushfield s of Thomas alive landholder
Marie Halligan (signed Mary) Billincurry d of James alive landholder
wit Martin H Carroll and Ellen j Halligan
at Kiltemagh?

It's Halligan on the 1911 census as well
Mary 56 widow Co Mayo
Ellen Halligan sister 53 single
Thomas 32
James 31
John 29
Patrick 27
Martin 25
Mary Ellen 23
Henry Edward 18
Joseph 15
Francis 11

Does that help?
Ciderdrinker
Last edited by ciderdrinker on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciderdrinker

Postby shanew147 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:24 am

The mother's surname is definitely Halligan, date 17th January.

The €20 certs are the official ones, research certs cost just €4. A research cert will be a scan of the same register image, an official one is a transcript based on the same register.
shanew147

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Yes, just to reinforce what Shane says, any birth or marriage or death certificate that you order, will be identical to the image on the IrishGenealogy site - plus or minus any transcription errors (didn't know about some types being transcripts, thanks).

However, not all years yet have images on that site and for those, you'd need to fall back on paper.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby shanew147 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:35 pm

If you need a full certified record of birth for legal purposes, e.g. Probate or Irish citizenship by descent, then the full €20 cert is probably required. Just fill in as much details as you know on the Irishcertificates/HSE website - they will contact you if the record cannot be located.
shanew147

Postby Rosemary Collins » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:32 am

I've done some more research and it looks like this person isn't the right Henry Carroll so I'll hold off for now, but thank you guys for your help!
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Return to General research queries