Moderator Control Panel ]

Which Elizabeth Driffield?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Which Elizabeth Driffield?

Postby Sucher » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Elizabeth Driffield married Charles Duncannon 17 October 1825 at St Sampsons in York. I am trying to find her parents and it seems to be a choice of:

1. Elizabeth, christened at Market Weighton, Yorks, 25 September 1805 - Father Edward Driffield & Mother Ann
or
2. Elizabeth, born , Raskelf, Yorks, 24 March 1806 - father William Driffield.

Elizabeth died 11 April 1840 aged 35 so it seems to be the first one born in Market Weighton. But it's a close call, slightly complicated the by birth of another Elizabeth to Edward and Ann in 1807.

Any thoughts/ideas would be very much appreciated

Sucher
Sucher

Re: Which Elizabeth Driffield?

Postby avaline » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:14 am

Elizabeth, d/o Edward Driffield, Gardener was buried 1 Aug 1806 at Market Weighton, so definitely not the 1805 one. Any clues in the naming of the children of Charles & Elizabeth?
avaline

Postby Sucher » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:39 pm

avaline wrote:Elizabeth, d/o Edward Driffield, Gardener was buried 1 Aug 1806 at Market Weighton, so definitely not the 1805 one. Any clues in the naming of the children of Charles & Elizabeth?

Thank you Avaline, The only child of Charles and Elizabeth that I can find is a son, George William born 1826/7 and I have a lot of information about him.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Sucher wrote: The only child of Charles and Elizabeth that I can find is a son, George William born 1826/7 and I have a lot of information about him.

George William Duncan B. About 1827
topic14989.html

I notice that Jo's(?) post(s) about the fate of Elizabeth have been edited out of the thread? A tragic story, one report said there was a sick nurse child in the house at the time (don't know if that is true)

Was Charles a member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity?

This might be an oddity
A marriage at Scrayingham, 3 June 1827
Thomas Richardson + Elizabeth Driffield

And then there are baptisms following in Moor Monkton, near York, to a Thomas + Elizabeth Richardson, hopefully the same couple.
In the 1851 census in Moor Monkton (piece 2354 folio 406 page 2) we have the family, and it says that Elizabeth Richardson was 45 and born Raskelf.

So far, so good. The children they had included William (1834) and Martha (1842). Martha might have been the name of the mother of the Raskelf Elizabeth Driffield, we know William was the father.
I haven't though found any Richardson birth registrations from 1837, mmn Driffield, that match the later children, and there are some that might be matched with mmn Williamson (but that doesn't seem to make sense at the moment).

Just to make matters worse, in 1861 Elizabeth says she was born Scrayingham :?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=581278
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Actually I think that could be good, because it points to the Richardson - Driffield marriage in Scrayingham.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Aha, Scrayingham is where William and Martha Driffield ended up.
1841 census
Piece 1211 book 8 folio 6 page 6
William, 60, Martha, 65, James 20

Piece 2357 folio 7 page 6
Martha Driffield, 76, with her son James.
See places of birth.

Burials in Scrayingham of William Driffield in 1847, age 68, and Martha Driffield in 1852, age 78.

So Elizabeth from Raskelf seems to be eliminated. She married Thomas Richardson.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Hope Sucher isn't losing interest already.
We would all like to know, was Charles Duncannon an Ancient Shepherd?
ianbee

Postby Sucher » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:51 pm

ianbee wrote:Hope Sucher isn't losing interest already.
We would all like to know, was Charles Duncannon an Ancient Shepherd?

No Ian, still here but have out of the loop for a few days. As far as I know Charles Duncannon didn’t stray from Yorkshire and in census documents and elsewhere he is described as either a labourer or confectioner. Not an Oddfellow as far as I know. I need to review your research and will get back, as always mightily impressed by the scope of your investigations.

Don’t know where the article about the tragic house fire went, fortunately I made a copy. I wonder if that incident lead to Charles and his son George being untraceable on the 1841 census?

Thanks again for taking the time.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby ianbee » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi
I haven't been able to see Charles in 1841 either, I'm afraid. I agree, if the accident hadn't happened we might well have found the whole family in that very house in the census.
I would have a look at the Driffield family in Market Weighton, see what happened to them, in case any links emerge.
The Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity thing turned up in the York Herald, Sat 4 May 1839. I'll attach it. That name Duncannon is pretty uncommon thereabouts so I wondered if it was your chap.
Ian
Attachments
Odd Fellow.JPG
Odd Fellow.JPG (84.81 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
ianbee

Postby Sucher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi Ian

I am mighty confused which isn't difficult these days. If I understand your last post correctly. we eliminate Elizabeth Driffield of Raskell as the possible spouse of Charles Duncannon. We know that she is still the wife of Charles when she died in the horrible house fire in 1840, so she cannot be the woman who married Thos. Richardson 3rd June 1827. Is this me missing something obvious?

I did miss the fact that the account of the Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity meeting was published in the York Herald. The distance between the two towns is about 80 miles, maybe the York Herald was short of newsworthy items on 4 May 1839 or they published the article because Charles was resident in York? As you said, there couldn't have been too many Charles Duncannons floating around that part of the country. I’ve no idea if Charles was an Oddfellow maybe that’s a line of inquiry that I can follow up. Presumably, an Ancient Shepherd is a ranking/description/order of the Oddfellows?

As ever, many thanks.

Sucher
Sucher

Next

Return to General research queries