Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Haley (Old Bailey)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas Haley (Old Bailey)

Postby rob27 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:35 pm

I know from the England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791 - 1892 [b]Thomas Haley aged 60 estimated birth 1755 was convicted of burglary at the Old Bailey, his trial date was recorded as 9th December 1815 and received a death sentence but I cannot find his trial details. Can anyone possibly help please.

Thank you very much.
rob27

Re: Thomas Haley (Old Bailey)

Postby MoVidger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:53 pm

According to the Morning Post (11 Dec 1815):

"Thomas Haley was indicted for breaking and entering the dwelling house of Patrick Gibbons and stealing therein a coat, value 20s. The property of Edward Gibbons. Guilty - Death".

The Kentish Weekly Post (12 Dec 1815) has a bit more about the crime. Apparently Patrick Gibbons kept the Red Lion in Petticoat Lane, where the incident occurred.
MoVidger

Postby brunes08 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:15 pm

You might find some additional information on www.oldbaileyonline.org. You can search through for years of proceedings from 1674 to 1913. I found some useful information on an old trial on the site.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Just to say I found nothing on old bailey on-line!
Mick Loney

Postby avaline » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am

The trial is recorded under Thomas Hayley. You can also find it on London Lives

https://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp? ... #highlight
avaline

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:38 pm

On Old Bailey on-line (under Hayley) following his sentence of death on 15 Dec 1815, the following 30 March 1816, the punishment was amended to 21 years transportation to New South Wales. I think the significance of the time the offence occured, 5am rather than 6 am as defendant claimed, meant it was treated as a burglary ( breaking and entering at night) rather than simple breaking and entering, hence was treated and punished more severely.

All for stealing a coat costing 20 shillings. They certainly didn’t muck about in those days, all he’d get today would be a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again :D

As he wasn’t executed, you have some more exploring to do, to see what happened to him! He mave have outlived the sentence and became a free man. May even have returned to UK.
Mick Loney

Postby rob27 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Thank you so much to [b]MoVidger, brunes08 and Mike Loney [/b]for taking the trouble to answer my research problem of which I am over the moon! I thought I had checked the Old Bailey online thoroughly but appears I should have done better.

I'm really chuffed about the amount of information you have provided. I can now burn the midnight oil and plug some gaps in my family history.

Once again thank you.
rob27

Postby rob27 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Sorry avaline I omitted to say thank you to you as well.
rob27

Postby JaneyH » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:15 pm

While I’ve only ever researched one convict ancestor and can’t claim any expertise you may find the following helpful. Most of what I’m sharing here comes from tips given to me by the late Sylvia, who was such an expert and generous contributor to this forum.

I first used https://convictrecords.com.au/ because it covers all states. Looking at this there are four people called Thomas Haley listed. Only one would appear to fit your man - Thomas Haley, from Middlesex Gaol Delivery, departed 9 October 1816 on ship Sir William Bensley, arrived NSW 10 March 1817. I’ve checked alternative spellings and there’s no Thomas Hayley / Hailey listed. I’ve also looked at the ‘Claim a Convict’ website that someone else in Australia highlighted for me - see http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/index.php The same Thomas Haley is shown, arriving on the same ship, and this record helpfully includes the trial date of 6 December 1815. This tallies with the Old Bailey record that avaline posted earlier. If you click through to the link of the ship you’ll find it arrived at Port Jackson, Sydney.

Now that you know the ship, you should be able to find further information about his time in Australia either through the NSW State Archives https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives ... icts-guide (there is a charge for some items) and/or the records on Ancestry. For the latter, you’ll either need a worldwide subscription or do as I did and buy some pay-as-you-go credits.

Good luck, Janey
JaneyH

Return to General research queries