Moderator Control Panel ]

William Brown and co

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William Brown and co

Postby helen.norton » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Hoping someone can help me unravel this and fill in any of the missing gaps please:

Jane Tennison was baptised 26th Aug 1834, Pocklington, Yorkshire. Mother: Stella Tennison, Spinster. She is living with her mother in Pocklington in 1841 and it seems that Stella had at least 4 other children all born out of wedlock too.

14th Oct 1855, Pocklington. William Brown, 22, Bachelor of Pocklington, Labourer, Father: John Flint, Labourer, married Jane Tennison, 20, Spinster of Pocklington. Father: William Douthwaite, Miller

Given the father's details it would seem that both parties were born out of wedlock. There is also a marriage later on for Jane's brother, William Tennison, and he also says his father was William Douthwaite, Miller. On his second marriage his father is William Tennison, Millwright. Their sister Elizabeth Tennison, who married James Gray in Leeds, said her father was Thomas Tennison, Carpenter, so I'm not sure if William Douthwaite was fictitious or if he was the man Stella had children with? I haven't come up with a likely candidate for him.

I have found Jane Tennison in 1851 in York, and then living with Stella, back in Pocklington in 1861, listed as Jane Brown, married, but no sign of her husband William Brown. In 1864 at Pocklington Jane married again, to James West, but under her maiden name of Tennison, a spinster, she gave the same father's details again, William Douthwaite, Miller. So what happened to William Brown? I suspect something is not above board here, given that she did not marry under the name Brown, nor declare herself a widow, though the same vicar performed the ceremony for both marriages.

I can't find a likely candidate for William Brown and only have his marriage to go on. There is a John Flint (the name he gave for his father) in Pocklington in 1841 but he appears to have married Ann Stephenson at Kilnwick Percy in 1822, they had a number of children and are still together in 1841 so, unless he had an affair with William Brown's mother, I'm not sure he's connected as William would have been born c.1833, if he was being truthful about his age when he married, of course. There was a William Brown born in Pocklington in 1824 to Alice Brown, spinster (she had already had another son by the same name born and died in 1822) but that seems a bit too early to be Jane's husband, though I haven't eliminated him for certain.

After her second marriage Jane can then be found in Etton in 1871, with husband James West. There is a Mary Gaysides, daughter, age 8, born Pocklington living with them. I'm not sure where she fits in at all. Possibly the Mary Garside, baptised 18th Aug 1862. Mother Ann Garside of Pocklington, single woman. Mother's maiden name blank according to the GRO index. Mary Garside then married George Smith, 17th Jun 1885, Wressell. Father 'Not Known'. Not sure of the link to James or Jane West, unless she was simply an adopted daughter?

By 1881 James West is living in Brotton, North Yorkshire but I don't think the wife, Jane, is Jane Tennison as she is aged 31 (10 years younger than James) and her birthplace is Pickering, not Pocklington. I've been unable to identify a death for Jane West 1871-1881 or a second marriage for James to the new Jane.

On 15th Aug 1886 James West is listed on a passenger list to Quebec with Jane (age 39) and possibly 2 young children of theirs, Arthur (2) and Alice (1) I'm sure this is the right James West as it states he is travelling with his sister and family, who are all listed above him. I thought a search of the GRO indexes for the mother's maiden name of the children may help identify who this second Jane was but I'm not sure where Arthur & Alice were born so that didn't get me very far. I can't find any trace of the family in Canada or the US after their arrival.

So quite a few gaps to fill in if anyone can help. Did William Douthwaite, Miller, exist? Who was William Brown and what happened to him? What happened to Jane Tennison/West? Did James West then marry a second Jane and who was she? Is there any trace of the West family after leaving England?

Rather long winded I'm afraid but I don't want anyone wasting time on ground already covered. Thanks in advance,

Helen
helen.norton

Re: William Brown and co

Postby elsabels » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:50 am

Have you looked at the original entry for the baptisms of the children to see if the officiating minister has made any entry to the purported father?

As these appear to be illegitimate children and there was no state support, the mother may have applied for parish relief, in which case the Parish would have preferred to know who the father was!
Maybe she is listed in the Parish records as applying for relief / support
elsabels

Postby helen.norton » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:02 pm

There are 5 children with Stella in 1841. There are baptisms for 4 of them at Pocklington, Mary in 1827 (Stella is named as Zillah) Sarah in 1830, Jane in 1834 & William in 1837. I've had a look at them as the Yorkshire parish records are on FMP. They simply say she was a spinster, no more info is given. No baptism or birth registration for Elizabeth who was 9 months old in 1840. Then there was another child, John, baptised 3rd Feb 1846 at Pocklington, maiden name blank on GRO index for his birth registration.

Given that she had a child every couple of years at one point, I wondered if perhaps Stella was living with someone but there is no man of the house in 1841, Stella's occupation is listed as a Glover. Stella & John are on their own in Pocklington in 1851 where she is listed as a pauper so maybe some of them did have different fathers? There is no William Douthwaite burial in Pocklington that fits the time frame.

Stella herself seems to have been born out wedlock, born 27 Aug 1804, Pocklington to Mary Tennison, Spinster. I've checked the East Riding online catalogue for their archives and nothing is showing up in terms of any documents relating to Stella specifically.

Would appreciate any further help or advice
helen.norton

Postby avaline » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:09 pm

East Yorkshire Archives have a copy of the will of William Douthwaite of Pocklington yeoman, dated 10 Feb 1822. The will mentions a son, also named William Douthwaite. "Executrix: wife Margaret Bequests: all his real estate to wife Margaret for life and then to son William and daughter Elizabeth; personal estate to wife"
avaline

Postby elsabels » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:45 pm

There are 2 William BROWN baptisms with the mother Alice Brown a spinster of Pocklington

1) 17 January 1822
2) 14 May 1824

Have you thought that William Brown could have changed his surname form Flint to Brown?
elsabels

Postby helen.norton » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks for both the replies.

That's interesting re William Douthwaite. I had come across the burial in 1822 but discounted it as it didn't fit the time frame, but interesting that he had a son named William. Been digging around and I think he's the William Douthwaite baptised in 1802 at Thirsk to William & Margaret Best. They had a daughter named Elizabeth in 1804 so that would fit with the info in the will.

Not having much luck finding him on the census or a burial for him to exclude him from my enquiries. Margaret seems to be in Pocklington in 1841 and died there in 1844. Daughter Elizabeth married Thomas Blanchard in 1822 and is next door to her mother in 1841, birth place Thirsk which fits with the above. Clearly his family were in Pocklington around that time, but I can't seem to find any evidence to say he was living there or was connected to Stella? There are other William Douthwaite marriages in and around Yorkshire c.1820-c.1850 and also baptisms for children with that father's name but some families can be accounted for elsewhere and none of them mention an occupation of being a Miller at all.

I had come across the 2 William Brown baptisms (the first seems to have died) to Alice Brown but, as I mentioned, the age seems a bit out from what was given on the marriage certificate, but I can't seem to account for him elsewhere, nor find anything much on Alice. The closest baptism for Alice would be Elvington in 1802 to Mary Brown. This Alice Brown married John Parkinson in Holme On Spalding Moor in 1828, which could fit with the 2 illegitimate births a few years earlier but, again, no definite proof these people are connected.

Any further help much appreciated to help fill in any of the missing gaps
helen.norton

Return to General research queries