Moderator Control Panel ]

Woodman Family in 1861

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Woodman Family in 1861

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Richard Woodman (1828) and his wife Elizabeth Phebus (1832) had all 8 of their children christened in St Leonard, Shorditch between 1854 and 1870.

Their address is shown as 3 Mailcoach Yard (off kingland Road, Shoreditch) for all the christenings, so finding them in 1861, knowing the address should be simple - wrong!

Despite my best efforts, I can't find the family on Ancestry, certainly not under the Woodman surname, so I assume it is mis-transcribed

Anyone prepared to look in the 1861 census for the address on Findmypast for me, and let me know what Piece/Folio/Page it is on.

Thanks in advance
Mick Loney

Re: Woodman Family in 1861

Postby MoVidger » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi Mick,

I've checked for the street on FMP. There is a Peck family with lodgers living at 4 Mail Coach Yard, Shoreditch.

Enumeration district: 5
Archive reference: RG09
Piece number: 232
Folio: 33
Page: 12

Hope this info helps. In an 1863 House of Commons document, Mail Coach Yard is noted as being near Caroline Place and Kingsland Road.

All the best,
Mo
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:49 pm

They may have said they were living in Mailcoach Yard on the Shoreditch baptisms, but were they?
Births
Sep 1860 St George in the East 1c 428
Woodman, Richard
mother Febus

Sep 1862 St George in the East 1c 419
Woodman, Hannah Charlotte
mother Feebus

And, to complicate matters, bits and pieces of the 1861 census are missing.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Burial at City of London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery
23 September 1861
Richard Woodman
age 15 months
abode Pearl Street St George's East

Don't know if that is going to help!
1861 Street Indexes for St George in the East
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... reet_Index
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Richard + Elizabeth Woodman at 3 Pearl Street in 1861. 9 month old son Richard.
Piece 281 folio 44 page 11
Now I am going to be in trouble, but I just can't resist it, sorry! Need to be logged in.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=570074

To be edited...
Ian
ianbee

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 am

Mo & Ian,
You’ve come up trumps yet again, but I think Ian has cracked it.
I have the aforementioned births, but thought dad was in the area when he reigistered the births so didn’t take much notice of the registration district, but in hindsight, I realised my thinking was wrong, as it was the registrar who had responsibility for recording births at this time, so births must have been local - duh,

I also saw the burial you mentioned, but with wrong address and no parents mentioned, this too was discounted for the present, and put aside for later investigation, but with the new information about the family living in Pearl Street, I’ll bring it front and centre and add it to my tree, along with new found cesnsus entry..

All I have to do now is find out why they used the Mail Coach Yard address. I’ve seen that address before, so I’ll need to find out where else it was used. Perhaps one of their parents, and mum went home to give birth. Was this a lodging house close to parents? I’ll feedback what I find out.

Once again the forum comes to the rescue,

Many, Many Thanks :D
Mick Loney

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 am

I thought Mailcoach Yard sounded familiar, and have now found out that Elizabth's sister Charlotte, wife of William James Shepherd, also used that address when she christened her first two children in 1862 & 1864 at the same church. These children's births were also registered in St George in The East.

I still haven't worked out why they went there to christen their children, as Charlotte & Elizabeth's parents had died by then, so it wasn't to go back to them for the christenings.

Curiouser and curiouser

Mo, the image you referenced for 4 Mailcoach Yard, also contained details of 3 Mailcoach Yard (why FMP didn't list this too I don't know), but I still don't recognise anyone living there! - Thanks
Mick Loney

Postby ianbee » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:16 am

Mick, I've got a similar situation with my William + Ann Bramley, who had most of their children baptized at St Leonard Shoreditch. Abode was always New Inn Yard.
They may have been there at one time - William's brother James had a few baptized there with the same details. But once civil registration started the children were registered in Whitechapel and Bethnal Green districts.
For some reason they liked going back to St Leonards for the baptisms.
We have to be wary about everything in family history!
Ian
ianbee

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:48 am

It wasn’t the fact that they chose St Leonards for the christenings, (familiar church etc), but the fact they said they lived in Mail Coach Yard.
With Elizabeth’s sister doing same thing, I’ve come to the conclusion it was a lodging house, it does rather sound as if it was part of a coaching inn :D
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries