Moderator Control Panel ]

Military medals?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Military medals?

Postby Lisa221221 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:08 pm

So this is an ancestor of mine. However what I’d like to know is - how can I find out if anyone accepted these medals on his behalf as he was killed in 1916 and who had them please? Thank you Image

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Lisa221221

Re: Military medals?

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 pm

An interesting question. The only sure-fire way is to borrow a TARDIS and nip back before WW2 in order to consult his Service papers before they were burnt in WW2. :-(

Slightly more seriously.... So far as I can see, Alfred's service papers were burnt in the Arnside St fire in WW2 - at least, Ancestry doesn't reveal them - I've not tried FindMyPast. My Nana's brother was killed in WW1 and, in his case, his papers survived and contain requests to the family to confirm his next-of-kin in order to dispatch his medals to them. Then there's a signed receipt to say that the medals have arrived. I assume that this would have happened to Alfred. Unfortunately, this option doesn't appear to be open to you given that the papers don't appear to exist.

There are columns on the Medal Roll referring to "Record of Disposal" (Dispatch or storage or scrapping) - but your chap's entries are blank. Indeed, I'm not sure I've ever seen those columns are filled in for WW1 Campaign Medals.

The Medal Index Cards (such as you attached) can contain comments about what happened to the medals but my impression is that appears to be used only if something's gone wrong - i.e. the medals have been dispatched but no-one was there to accept them.

So my gut feeling is that we have to simply rely on what would usually have happened. The Army would have written to his nominated next of kin (who, I feel, might not be a relative) and they would be requested to confirm his nearest relatives (widow, children, parents, siblings, in that order, then grand-parents, nephews, nieces, aunts, uncles) - the medals and Memorial Plaque would be sent to one of those - presumably the first one on the list. And would need to be signed for or they went back. And it's only if the medals went out but weren't accepted that a record would appear on the Medal Index Card - I think.

So certainly, the intention was always that the medals, memorial plaque and memorial scroll went to the (legal) next of kin.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:13 pm

he Army would have written to his nominated next of kin (who, I feel, might not be a relative) and they would be requested to confirm his nearest relatives

That, by the way, was taken very seriously. The declaration had to be counter-signed by a Minister (of the church) or magistrate.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby trace » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:20 pm

On pension index card it gives his mothers name - Sarah.

On De Ruvignys Vol3 father Henry, mother Sarah Harris.

Perhaps they would have been sent to Sarah.
trace

Postby Lisa221221 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:56 am

I suppose I can never fully know where they went then, thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Lisa221221

Postby peter kent » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 am

I suppose I can never fully know where they went then

I don't know about that. The register of soldiers' effects show the recipients of his effects (arrears of pay etc) as his parents Robert H and Sarah. These are surely the people who would have received his medals.
peter kent

Postby phsvm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:26 pm

A long shot but it may be worth havin a look at this site

https://britishmedalforum.com

You could post a query on their 'Seeking Family Medals' forum.
phsvm

Return to Military help