Moderator Control Panel ]

Warwick Asylum

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Warwick Asylum

Postby scot293 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi all

Just come across a record for one of my ancestors on ancestry and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me find out some more information?

She would be my 4th great grandmother and her name was Hannah Godwin (nee. Prestridge) born in 1814.

She is recorded in the UK, Lunacy Admission Registers for 1846 - 1912 and the institution is stated as Warwick in Warwickshire, England. It states she was admitted to the asylum on the 02 Sep 1862 and died 25 Apr 1897.

How would I know what asylum she was in from this information? Do you think there would be records for her available from her time here? If so would anyone know who I would contact to try and obtain this information?

Many Thanks :)
scot293

Re: Warwick Asylum

Postby JMcK » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:28 pm

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... f791258cb3

But I would get her death cert first as the address may be more specific
JMcK

Postby KayFarndon » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:51 am

This could have been the asylum at Hatton, just outside Warwick. It opened in 1852. I agree you need her death certificate.
A chat with someone at Warwick records Office might help too. You can find the number online.
There was also an asylum in Birmingham which was in Warwickshire then.
Good luck with your research.
KayFarndon

Postby sdup26 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:49 am

On the 1871 census for the Asylum at Hatton in Warks, there's a female patient, H.Godwin, born 1814. No other personal details given unfortunately, which is common on asylum records.

If it is your Hannah in 1871, was she a long-stay patient? On the 1881 and 1891 censuses, also at Hatton, there's HG, born 1814/15, married, birth town Alne.
sdup26

Postby DVD » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am

It is likely that she was in Hatton Asylum which is near Warwick. The asylum records are fabulous. I had an ancestor who was there for a year and I found out much about her. It will involve a trip to the Warwickshire Record Office in Warwick as none of the records are online. The asylum records are very detailed and include admission registers, medical certificates and detailed casebooks for many patients. The casebooks are written by the doctors at the asylum and may include personal details, including physical descriptions, details of their condition and for some people details of relatives. You would need to email the Warwickshire Record Office and ideally search their catalogue for details of the records held (if you want to send me a private message I can give you more details). David
DVD

Return to General research queries