Moderator Control Panel ]

Poor Ancestry User Interface

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Poor Ancestry User Interface

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:57 am

I don't know what has changed at Ancestry, but I am having a very poor experience using Ancestry.co.uk lately, and wonder if anyone else is suffering the same. Here are a few examples:-

1: Despite logging in to Ancestry.co.uk, I find that somehow, clicking on a link in the search results, I am often taken to Ancestry.com, despite having set the site preference to Ancestry (UK).

2: Clicking to view an image, I often get the 404 error message (site not found)

3: In the results list, I often see an image link alongside a result, but when I check the record to see if it is the right one, the record page doesn't have a link to the image, and I have to go back to results list and get to the image from there.

4: I have a tree on Ancestry, and whenever I do a search, I find the search fields get populated with details from someone in my tree, despite studiously ignoring the suggestions that pop up. I then have to clear the search and start over. Sometimes I have to do this 3 or 4 times before it will ignore the suggestions.

5: When doing multiple searches, highlighting a birth date, in order to overwrite with a new value doesn't work. One has to delete it before one can enter a new value. Only Ancestry could think this is useful, as it has been standard window practice for the past 30 or more years that when typing over highlighted text it will be overwritten with the new text.

6: Despite being an Ancestry (UK) member, all links in e-mails from users with potential DNA matches, direct me to Ancestry (US)! Why can't they just merge the sites and be done with it, and make it simpler for everybody

I could go on, but am just getting more and more depressed :?

I'm just glad my subscription is coming to an end - grrrrrh
Mick Loney

Re: Poor Ancestry User Interface

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:43 pm

The only one of those that I immediately relate to is 5:
highlighting a birth date, in order to overwrite with a new value doesn't work. One has to delete it before one can enter a new value.

I can't swear exactly which item it is for me, but yes, I get that.

Occasionally I get a "Can't find it" message - the one with the guy panning for gold - that's not a 404 message per se, but Ancestry's version of it - don't know if that's what you're referring to.

And certainly, very, very occasionally I seem to end up on .com but that's always at the start, never in the middle of a search like yours...

Frankly I find everyone's sites to have annoying deficiencies that suggest the sites have gone beyond the ability of the software guys to understand and program - FindMyPast sometimes lands me with the "Dashboard" at the start - but occasionally the old front screen. And the FamilySearch front page does the same - usually I get images of what I would guess are multi-cultural Americans, occasionally I get the old images, some of which look uncannily British.

It wasn't like this when we fed paper tape into the reader for an online session!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:43 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:
Occasionally I get a "Can't find it" message - the one with the guy panning for gold - that's not a 404 message per se, but Ancestry's version of it - don't know if that's what you're referring to.

And certainly, very, very occasionally I seem to end up on .com but that's always at the start, never in the middle of a search like yours...

Adrian,
I wasn't referring to guy panning for gold, which I get a lot, but have always assumed it is because Ancestry is overloaded, but a blue box saying '404 can't find file or directory" which I normally get when trying to view an image, be it parish register or census (this message also comes from Ancestry) A 2nd or 3rd attempt usually gets past this message, but annoying all the same :cry:

The worst is the trips to .com, which is happening more and more. I start off on .uk, but I try to edit the search box and end up on .com. I'm lucky to go 30 minutes without this happening, and once it starts, it happens every 2 or 3 minutes.
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Oh a real 404! :-(

I've a vague idea that I've seen that once or twice, but no more.

I'm on Firefox by the way, essentially because I hate Chrome's way of treating you like an idiot and hiding everything because we'd never be able to understand it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:18 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:Oh a real 404! :-(
I'm on Firefox by the way, essentially because I hate Chrome's way of treating you like an idiot and hiding everything because we'd never be able to understand it

Me too, in my case, anything but Microsoft! :D Hence my use of Openoffice and Thunderbird for my mail and Gramps for graphic manipulation.
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:52 pm

I have experienced the 404 problem this week and page unavailable and also, despite it showing that I am logged in on the homepage, I am having to login again to view some records.
I think the site is so large now they cannot iron out all the bugs. I use firefox, but I am still operating on windows 7, which I assumed was part of the problem!
Sally
meekhcs

Postby JaneyH » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:41 pm

I had several 404 errors today, working on my iPad via Safari (husband was hogging the laptop).

I usually do my research in Family Tree Maker on my (Windows 10) laptop. There have been major problems for months with the interface between FTM and Ancestry searching. Many issues dating back to May were fixed recently, but new ones have appeared such as not being able to edit a search.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 pm

With the free access to FMP this weekend, I’ve been using their site this afternoon, and what a refreshing change! Their user interface works, as one would expect!

What’s more, I found lots of census images, as well as an ancestor in 1851, neither of which Ancestry could find!

Sorry Ancestry, but I’ve had enough, and won’t be renewing my subscription. Hello FMP!
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am

Just as a side line to this post I have not seen any new/ updated records on Ancestry since the end of September which seems odd!
Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:37 am

From possibly fallible memory, these pension records have not appeared in the list of New and Updated collections. So either they are just on a soft launch or Ancestry have forgotten to update the list of New and Updated collections....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to Genealogy chat