Moderator Control Panel ]

Poor Ancestry User Interface

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Poor Ancestry User Interface

Postby meekhcs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Emailed Ancestry but doubt I will receive a sensible reply. From another group I belong to it seems the problem is worldwide on all systems.
Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:59 am

Received the usual "sorry you are having problems but we checked and have managed to access every page without incident" reply,and suggesting if I have further problems to phone or emailancestry support!
I doubt I will get anywhere but I will follow this up as I am fed up with their"holier than thow" attitude!
Sally
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:35 pm

It's the sort of reply that annoys the heck out of me too. Of course it works when they checked. That's meaningless because this is an intermittent fault - it's not a simple error, it's probably a load based issue that increases the probability of a failure, it doesn't guarantee failure.

If the organisation is competent, issues like this should be logged. The probability is that the first line help desk are almost certainly just reading from, and acting on, a script. I can only suggest that you emphasize the intermittent nature of the problem and request that this be escalated and someone check the logs for events such as these.

PS I got one or two of these 404 messages last night.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Adrian

I have sent a reply requesting that they look at the problem properly and fix it; that it is not just me, that the problem started occurring at least 2 weeks ago, not just during this free access weekend, and that they must have had other complaints.
I have suggested that if the system continues to malfunction subscribers will not bother to renew subscriptions.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:21 pm

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post (rant), is their brekdown of search results, which doesn’t work!
e.g. I do a general census search for an individual, and am told the total number of records found, with a breakdown of how many found in each census year - great! I see there are 6 possibles in in 1841, a year I was particularly interested in, so I click the 1841 link only to be told there are no records found !!! (This happens more often than I care to count!)

Then, after raising the issue, the numpty on the help desk replied as per usual to tell me how I must have been doing it wrong, and have I looked at the guidance!
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:50 pm

Mick Loney wrote:One thing I forgot to mention in my original post (rant), is their brekdown of search results, which doesn’t work!
e.g. I do a general census search for an individual, and am told the total number of records found, with a breakdown of how many found in each census year - great! I see there are 6 possibles in in 1841, a year I was particularly interested in, so I click the 1841 link only to be told there are no records found !!! (This happens more often than I care to count!)

Then, after raising the issue, the numpty on the help desk replied as per usual to tell me how I must have been doing it wrong, and have I looked at the guidance!

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Sorry ignore previous post tried to answer via iphone and got in a muddle!

I raised these issues on a FB page I belong to run by the American genealogist Thomas MacEntee called Genealogy Do-Over. People worldwide echoed the comments you have made. Thomas is emailing his contacts at Ancestry concerning the problems we are experiencing and will raise the problems with, as he calls them, the "muckety mucks" higher up in Ancestry when he meets them at RootsTech in March.

Whether it will do any good remains to be seen but FMP in the UK certainly took comments on board when we all complained a few years ago. I am sure Thomas will point out the same to Ancestry.
Sally
meekhcs

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat