Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Dawson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas Dawson

Postby helen.norton » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 pm

I'm trying to trace Thomas Dawson and his wife Mary Ann.

They married on 22nd Feb 1886, Drypool, Hull. Both of full age. He was a 'Scripture Reader' of Drewton Terrace and a widower, father Robert Dawson, a Brewer. She was Mary Ann Ward, widow, father Thomas Barff, Blacksmith.

I have traced Mary Ann before the marriage, born Mary Ann Barff in Hornsea, Yorkshire in 1839 and I have her first marriage (and all of her first husband's details) and all census returns for her up to 1881 but I cannot locate her or Thomas Dawson in 1891 and I'm struggling to find anything on Thomas Dawson prior to the marriage. It looks like he has been married before but I can't find a likely candidate on the census either side of the marriage in the Hull area and the marriage details are all I have to go on.

Can anyone help fill in the gaps on what happened to them after marriage and any info on Thomas Dawson before marriage please
helen.norton

Re: Thomas Dawson

Postby ColinB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:16 pm

1891 census

Thomas Dawson 45 scripture reader Clitheroe, Lancs
Mary A Dawson 51 wife Hornsea
Claudia Dawson 17 dau Clitheroe
Isaac Dawson 15 son Clitheroe page boy domestic servant
Sarah Spendlove 68 lodger

30 Bateman Street , Litchurch , Derby

RG12; Piece: 2735; Folio: 144; Page: 47

1881 census with wife Mary aged 30 born Marbury, Cheshire
RG11; Piece: 3706; Folio: 119; Page: 15
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Claudia Dawson
S Quarter 1873
Clitheroe
vol 08E p 298
mother's maiden name Williams

(Isaac Dawson D Q 1875 Clitheroe mmn Williams)
ColinB

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:03 pm

Helen,
See if you can find the GRO entries for any children you know came from his first marriage (using GRO.GOV website). From their entries you should be able to narrow down their mother’s maiden name, which will help in finding his first marriage.
Mick Loney

Postby ColinB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Mick Loney wrote:Helen,
See if you can find the GRO entries for any children you know came from his first marriage (using GRO.GOV website). From their entries you should be able to narrow down their mother’s maiden name, which will help in finding his first marriage.

See the previous post re births with mmn Williams.

Thomas Dawson 25 father Robert Dawson calico painter / printer ?
Mary Williams 21 father William Williams
5 Feb 1871 Clitheroe St Mary
ColinB

Postby helen.norton » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:13 pm

That's great, Thanks very much Colin!

I think I've now managed managed to trace the records for Thomas' baptism, earlier census records for him and the marriage to Mary Williams which you mentioned. There is a baptism for Thomas Dawson in Clitheroe in 1845 which says his father was a Calico Printer which fits with the marriage info. His mother was Elizabeth Carr, who is widowed by 1851. Possible death for Robert Dawson, Mar 1849, Clitheroe, age 28.

There was a third marriage too, to Harriet Alice Eaton, 10th Feb 1897, Derby and he says his father was a Brewer again, not a Calico Printer, but he seems to have been a labourer himself to start off with, by 1881 he is a 'Theological Student' and then later a Scripture Reader so maybe he promoted his father's occupation a bit as he moved up in the world himself? If a Brewer is an improvement on a Calico Printer that is! From the birth places and children's names you found I'm sure it is the same family.

Thomas & Mary Ann were in Litchurch, Derby in 1891 but there is no obvious death jumping out for her in that area 1891-1897. Thomas & Harriet are still in Derby in 1901 but in Wadsley Bridge, Yorkshire in 1911, he's now a clock and watch repairer, so maybe Mary Ann died elsewhere? It looks like Thomas lived in a few different places.

Harriet is still alive on the 1939 Register and back in Derby. Thomas' death is a bit more difficult to track down, nothing jumping out in Derby.

Thanks too for the advice Mick. A number of hints popped up on Ancestry once I found that he came from Clitheroe. I was just stuck in finding anything on him to get me started.

Helen
helen.norton

Return to General research queries